Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft Manufacturer Experience

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Manufacturer Experience

Sorry to repost part of what may have been burried toward the end of thread yesterday...

I'm considering installing new driveshafts at the same time as a 3" lift on an 08 JK Rubicon 2-door automatic. I have searched the forum (a little); but, I don't see any type of preference for manufacturer.

I would like to make sure that the aftermarket shafts I purchase have better performance and reliability than stock. Excellent balancing and high quality materials are critical.

What type of life might I expect out of aftermarkets if I run a mix of highway/ city/ trails?

I have read about Tom Wood, J E Reel, and Teraflex primarily... Is one really better than another? Is there another manufacturer I am missing?

Any experience information would be welcome.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is only one word TOM WOODS Best driveshafts in the world and best customer service ever and next day delivery guranteed and the best product with sex written all over it......
Old 02-13-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

the basically use all the same hardware to make the shafts...

I got JE Reel and had great customer service from Jim..
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zak
there is only one word TOM WOODS Best driveshafts in the world and best customer service ever and next day delivery guranteed and the best product with sex written all over it......
x 2 great customer service and very good product.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I got JE Reel and had great customer service from Jim..
X2 on the Reels. I have the 1350's on my rig and could not be happier. They're strong and there is no difference in vibration from the stock shafts to the Reels even with a steep pinion angle. They are also easy to service, zerks are in very convenient locations.

As for reliability I would assume that the Reels will last a very long time, but as with everything it depends how you maintain them as to how long they last.

Last edited by TwoMileHigh; 02-13-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Zak

Um I would be happy with grease zerks. They can keep the sex off of them. LMAO...

(Zak, I think this is the second time I have seen you use this expression. Is it from a movie or something? Up here I havent heard that particular one. But then again I also notice a lot of US guys add-ass to everything, and we dont get that a lot up here either..."thats bad-ass" "thats sick-ass"......LOL)
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Coast driveline.....

That is all folks

David
Old 02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

mate not sure what i was thinking when i write the post. i think it was from a movie

my reason I ordrered my shafts from Tom on Tuesday from downunder and the UPS guy was at my door on Thursday. Tom answered all my emails and phone calls personally. the shafts looks so good polished that at one stage i was thinkng about puttinn them in my sitting room they are really bad ass

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Um I would be happy with grease zerks. They can keep the sex off of them. LMAO...

(Zak, I think this is the second time I have seen you use this expression. Is it from a movie or something? Up here I havent heard that particular one. But then again I also notice a lot of US guys add-ass to everything, and we dont get that a lot up here either..."thats bad-ass" "thats sick-ass"......LOL)
Old 02-14-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Those zerks, when you load them up full of grease, and the little seal on the joint pops a bit, does that affect the seal permanently and damage the integrity of the joint? Or is it no big deal, letting you know it's full enuff?

BTW I have Reels and have had no issues at all with them.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I just had an experience with JE REEL, I returned a rear driveshaft to them due to the rear flange not matching up to the shaft on the transfer case causing it to leak! I called many times and went by a 4x4 shop (had them call JE REEL) and didn't get the service everyone is talking about. (still waiting on the $582 to be returned)

I'm going to look at Tom Woods, TeraFlex and Coast now!

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Manufacturer Experience