Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft issue

Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveshaft issue

Hello,

I just installed a FT 3'' premium plus front upper arms (Currie) I'm waiting the rear upper, I plan today to install the new driveshaft.

I read in this forum and as it was recommended to me across my questions, I decided to replace the stock d/s with J. Reel 1310 CV HD. In fact I gave a call to J. Reel entreprise and ask what is the best option for this, I was initially planning to go with the OE flange they recommended the 1310 CV HD. I aslo explained that I was planning the FT 3'' premium install so they knew all the data.

So today I removed the rear d/s installed the new yoke on the t/case and on the axle but when it came to bolt in the d/s...surpise it was too long by 3/4 of inche I guess. I have a 2 dr automatic (CRD).

Any of you had the same issue, is this issue link to the 3'' lift (the d/s replacement is ok on a lift > 3''?

tx
Old 11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

3/4" too long, doesn't sound like the right driveshaft.

My Rubicon 2 door 6-sp has FT rear arms upper and lower, and I'd estimate that the rear axle is about 1/2" inche further back with the lower arms near their shortest setting and with the pinion rotated up to point at the transfer case.

Set like this there is no interference between any of the rear suspension components and the Jeep rides and handles significantly better than with the stock arms. The rear end tracks better now, especially if making a quick steering input at speed.

With my JE Reel 1350 rear driveshaft installed yesterday, there is roughly 2.5" of driveshaft extension at my 3" over stock ride height.

I am amazed that this driveshaft is smoother than the stock one it replaced. The gear shifter also moves around in normal driving less, and the power delivery is silky smooth, and deceleration in gear is much smoother than it ever was with the stock shaft.

Are you sure your driveshaft is fully compressed? Mine was pretty firm till I broke it loose, now it glides in and out very smoothly with just a little bit of force. If so, it's definitely too long for a 3" lift.

I'll be putting my JE Reel 1310 HD front driveshaft and FT adjustable lower arms on the Jeep tomorrow, I'll definitely check the length.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

The CRD doesn't use the same transmission as the V6. That is why it's too long. You can have any machinist shorten it for you. Cheaper than shipping back to US and shipping back. There used to be a very good one along the lake (Rue du lac) between Lausanne and Vevey. Unfortunately it's ben a while and don't remember the name.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ReconJeep, I thought it might be a difference between US setup and EU with the CRD engine, thanks again for the address I will try to find it. Otherwise I spoke to my stepbro which run a truck business and told me that he know a good mechanic specialize in the truck drivetain he gives d/s that needs to be re-built to this guy this is one of the envisage solution.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your stepbro's suggestion is actually better. Hope it works out.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft issue