Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft help

Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft help

So about a month ago, the cv joint on my front driveshaft broke. Dropped it off at a driveshaft repair place today and they quoted me 300$ for the fix. I figured i would look on c/s and see what i found. And i found a what seems like a great deal. A front driveshaft off a 2013 Rubicon unlimited. Guy says he has 10 miles on it. Anyway, i want to go pick it up this week and am wondering what to look for on it in terms of not being screwed over (dads worrying about it). I know to rotate the joints and check for cracks but other than that is there anything? and in regards to fitting my rig properly specs:
2007 X Unlimited manual, 3 inch teraflex lift, 35's. I know this shaft will probably break one day too with the lift i have, but the stock one has lasted me 6 years so i figure this will do until over summer when i buy a teraflex one.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josephrobby
So about a month ago, the cv joint on my front driveshaft broke. Dropped it off at a driveshaft repair place today and they quoted me 300$ for the fix. I figured i would look on c/s and see what i found. And i found a what seems like a great deal. A front driveshaft off a 2013 Rubicon unlimited. Guy says he has 10 miles on it. Anyway, i want to go pick it up this week and am wondering what to look for on it in terms of not being screwed over (dads worrying about it). I know to rotate the joints and check for cracks but other than that is there anything? and in regards to fitting my rig properly specs:
2007 X Unlimited manual, 3 inch teraflex lift, 35's. I know this shaft will probably break one day too with the lift i have, but the stock one has lasted me 6 years so i figure this will do until over summer when i buy a teraflex one.
I don't think it will fit your 2007
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Why wouldn't it fit? Front DS on all JKs are pretty much the same as far as I can see. Now the rear DS, well, that is another matter. Just curious...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I need to know for sure it it's going to fit properly. Don't see why not
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM
xed
JK Newbie

Why spend $300 on a non repairable drive shaft when you can spend a few bums more on an after market shaft that will last and is repairable.

Look for a Rubicon Express or Toms shaft instead.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xed
Why spend $300 on a non repairable drive shaft when you can spend a few bums more on an after market shaft that will last and is repairable.

Look for a Rubicon Express or Toms shaft instead.
Definitely liking the price tag on the rubicon express. Will be looking into that, but for temporary fix the 2013 stock front should fit?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out Adams driveshafts. I believe it's around 385$. Lots of people happy with them. I'm personally saving for mine. Make sure your looking at the 1310 not the 1350 unless you really running your rig hard.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a Rubicon Express for under $400, and the Adams are about the same. The OEM DS's are trash... wouldn't waste the time or money.

~JDub

Sent from this Dang Thing
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoghd06
Check out Adams driveshafts. I believe it's around 385$. Lots of people happy with them. I'm personally saving for mine. Make sure your looking at the 1310 not the 1350 unless you really running your rig hard.
I agree with this. I run Adams Driveshaft front and rear and have had no issues with them at all. Great product for a great price.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright well thanks for opinions on upgraded ones, which I will do this summer. But for now I need to pick up this stock one. How do I check to see if it's in perfect condition?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft help