Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft Dilemmas

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tatton Driveshafts

Hi Adam,

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Got $825 I can borrow?

Seriously, I don't know the diff between double carbon shafts and what else? U joints? I haven't found a good explanation.

I was going to get these:
http://stores.ebay.com/TATTONS-DRIVESHAFTS

He quoted me $825 for both delivered. ARe these what I want? I've read positive reviews here on his shafts. Cheaper than Woods or Reel. But i'm not sure what's desireable over another.
I purchased Tatton shafts for my 2-door Rubicon last year. I spoke with sales people at Woods, J.E. Reel, and Tatton before making the decision to buy. When I have called Tatton I have always spoken with Curtis Tatton.

There were so many variables and different opinions about needing new driveshafts with a 3" lift and 32" tires (now 35") that I thought it was pretty good insurance, although it was pricey insurance. My JK isn't my daily driver, but, breaking down on the trail when one of the driveshafts eventually fail was a big consideration. I figured I could either buy used OEM shafts, or just bite the bullet and buy new shafts. The cost of a trail repair, as well as the inconvenience and tougher working conditions, played a big part in my decision.

I was concerned about the rear shaft length after I installed. (There was a lot more of the spline showing on the rear than on the front.) I called Curtis and he offered to lengthen the shaft if I returned it to him. The only thing it cost me was shipping one way. I was very satisfied with his service.

It's a big expense up front; but, I am glad I went the route I did. Although failures can happen with any component, particularly when wheeling, I feel more confident knowing that I installed the shafts before there was a failure.

Just my two cents worth.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff09
Hi Adam,

I purchased Tatton shafts for my 2-door Rubicon last year. I spoke with sales people at Woods, J.E. Reel, and Tatton before making the decision to buy. When I have called Tatton I have always spoken with Curtis Tatton.

There were so many variables and different opinions about needing new driveshafts with a 3" lift and 32" tires (now 35") that I thought it was pretty good insurance, although it was pricey insurance. My JK isn't my daily driver, but, breaking down on the trail when one of the driveshafts eventually fail was a big consideration. I figured I could either buy used OEM shafts, or just bite the bullet and buy new shafts. The cost of a trail repair, as well as the inconvenience and tougher working conditions, played a big part in my decision.

I was concerned about the rear shaft length after I installed. (There was a lot more of the spline showing on the rear than on the front.) I called Curtis and he offered to lengthen the shaft if I returned it to him. The only thing it cost me was shipping one way. I was very satisfied with his service.

It's a big expense up front; but, I am glad I went the route I did. Although failures can happen with any component, particularly when wheeling, I feel more confident knowing that I installed the shafts before there was a failure.

Just my two cents worth.

Jeff

THANKS!!! Yes, I've been emailing with Curtis. He's been helpful. I'm concerned about the number of miles I do and don't want vibrations, etc.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Dilemmas