Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft Causing noise in 4 wheel drive? Help!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Causing noise in 4 wheel drive? Help!

Hi, I have a 2008 JK 4DR, with a 4" suspension lift and some 33's on it. Honestly the jeep doesn't see much off roading due to where i live. A year ago I was dealing with the "Death Wobble" and it was BAD.. I had taken it in a few times, had it balanced and re-aligned, nothing solved the issue. I then put a dual steering stabilizer on it and haven't had the issue again. "Knock on wood".

Over the winter I was having an issue with the 4 wheel drive, every time I engaged 4 High, when I accelerate there is a continuous clicking noise from the front end. I also had a coolant leak and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I took my jeep in to the dealer yesterday, no longer under warranty, and they said I have a blown gasket in my intake manifold and the noise coming from the 4 wheel drive is from a wheel bearing in my driver side wheel. They quoted me $800. I thought it was strange about the bearing because it doesn't make sense to only make the noise when in 4 wheel drive.

I called them today to see if it was done, he told me it is done, however the bearing replacement didn't solve the issue. Luckily enough they did not charge me for the bearing considering it didn't solve the issue, and they charged me $365. However, they then told me that my front drive shaft needs to be replaced because that it causing the noise i'm hearing, they said my u-joints were not the issue either.

I'm curious if anyone has ever had the same issue? Is there a chance my drive shaft was affected during my death wobble stage? I'm personally not a technician though I am capable of smaller tasks when it comes to auto repairs and I have access to a shop and lift. Is this something I could change on my own or am I better off taking it into a shop? Also, i'm curious if you think the drive shaft is causing this noise or if it is something else? Any insight would be much appreciated!

I will be out of town over the weekend, so I won't be able to check any responses till Monday. Again, I appreciate your help!

Last edited by grcjeep; 05-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly all I can think is that something has fallen down on the front driveshaft. Because that's the only thing spinning in 4 that's not in 2wd. Look up under and see if something is touching the front drive shaft.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your driveshaft and death wobble are likely unrelated. At 4" of lift if your still running the stock driveshaft it was doomed eventually anyways. As for the death wobble the stabilizer is a bandaid to a problem most likely related to your trackbar as I understand it I've never dealt with it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the center boot on the drive shaft.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TristanWomack
Honestly all I can think is that something has fallen down on the front driveshaft. Because that's the only thing spinning in 4 that's not in 2wd. Look up under and see if something is touching the front drive shaft.
Driveshaft is always spinning in 2wd or 4wd.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're driveshaft is on its way out .and it always spins but there's no torque to it unless you're in four-wheel-drive.put it in low and give it gas it will click bad . Mine went to so did rear

Last edited by Mark73; 05-09-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Check the center boot on the drive shaft.
the
Boot over the slip joint isn't a big deal. Where I'd bet a lot of money is the rzeppa joint at the transfer case on the front driveshaft has failed.

This joint = no real big deal

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1861084772.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	551762

This is the big deal and a 4" of lift, even a pavement pounder, will eventually fail:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2218192271.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	551764

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Causing noise in 4 wheel drive? Help!