Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft

Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I was not questioning anything. Simply supplying additional information for integration into the broader knowledge base.

I'm not saying a 2 degree down angle won't help reduce U-joint wear, it probably will. The down-angle setting is based on the twist caused by torque as you said but it is much more pronounced on leaf spring suspensions (more common on pickup trucks) than with control arms. Besides over-torqueing and extreme angles, U-joint brinelling can also be caused by insufficient angle. (less than 1 degree)

As far as fully independent suspension, that has been the military standard for jeeps (not Jeeps) since 1959.

M151 (MUTT) was produced by Ford, Kaiser and AM General from 1959 to 1982 and saw military service at least until 1999 has fully independent suspension and unibody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giqGHuWv-eM And was replaced by the AM General HMMWV which also has full independent suspension:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7zhTkVepw

All cool Bro, I read over your reply with what I had said in quotes several times and couldn't tell if I had wrote something wrong, was your reply one of supporting it or questioning, etc.

As for fully independent suspension, I guess the that is something that could be argued endlessly depending on your preference or bias. I see your point about it being a military standard but doubt that it would be cost effective for a manufacturer to bring it to the civilian market, affordably, and have it perform as well as an H1.....but that would definately be a good topic for a thread of its own.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Yep. Still don't want ifs/irs!!! You want that get a Cherokee or grand Cherokee
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
I see your point about it being a military standard but doubt that it would be cost effective for a manufacturer to bring it to the civilian market, affordably, and have it perform as well as an H1.....but that would definately be a good topic for a thread of its own.
As with the military, when the government dictates how a company is run, cost effectiveness gives way to the whims of politics. Right now car companies are struggling to meet present and future Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. Although full independent suspension is more complicated, more costly and more failure prone, it is lighter than a solid axle therefore it will be in our future if the Jeep fleet is to get 54.5MPG by 2025. Assuming there is not a major revolt by voters between now and 2016, major effects of CAFE will start kicking in for 2017.

Obama Announces 54.5 mpg CAFE Standard by 2025 - Popular Mechanics

Thread in Jeep Talk here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...s-past-294374/
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because the military uses something doesn't mean it's best or ideal, that's not a good standard. I think a base model JK could do a better job getting traction and keeping wheels planted vs what that bummer shows in the video. In my opinion that video was a perfect example of why solid axles rule climbing off-road.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Just because the military uses something doesn't mean it's best or ideal, that's not a good standard. I think a base model JK could do a better job getting traction and keeping wheels planted vs what that bummer shows in the video. In my opinion that video was a perfect example of why solid axles rule climbing off-road.
I'll agree here. I'm in the military and will say we don't use the best stuff.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="Sahara Lee;3811399"] If Jeep ever enters the 21st century with a fully independent suspension and protected drive train all these problems will go away.

Surf City Dan

I saw this statement and i'm ok with Jeep staying in the 20th century with straight axles on the Wranglers. Thats why I have one. Personally, I would think if Jeep goes to fully independent suspension or just front independent they will loose a large amount of their sales especially to avid 4 wheelers.

Last edited by Surf City Dan; 01-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft