Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driver Fatigue After Ball Joint & Steering Work

Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Fatigue After Ball Joint & Steering Work

I have an 08 JKUR with a TF3" and 35" tires with about 49k miles.

My ball joints went out as did most of my rod-ends so I had them all replaced. Immediately after the repair work I could notice that the front end felt nice and tight like it did from the factory and I was very happy. But after A short while, I noticed that the steering would not return to center. I took it back to the shop and they said the new HD ball joints need some time to break in and to take it off road to speed the process up, so I did and it worked.

The remaining issue is that it takes a lot of attention now when driving near or at highway speeds. I used to be able to drive down the Interstate with two fingers on the wheel, now I need to be at 10 & 2 and concentrate to keep it in my lane. Tires are rotated and alignment is good. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

when you had your front end aligned, what was your caster set at? also, have you verified what your toe is set at?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know the exact settings, I was just told that they are well within spec.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by utjeeper
I do not know the exact settings, I was just told that they are well within spec.
what you are describing sounds a lot like a jeep with too little positive caster. it should be set at least to +4.2°. if it's anything less, that would be your problem right there. i would have this double checked or, check it yourself.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Are the people who did the work also the ones who said the alignment is good?
If so, I would take it to another alignment shop to have it checked. Get a printed copy of the measurements, too.

Quick Reply: Driver Fatigue After Ball Joint & Steering Work