Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveline vibration since gear change

Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline vibration since gear change

Just had 4.88 yukons installed from a reputable local shop that specializes in jeeps. I have about 350 miles on my gears.

I have noticed a Driveline vibration between 50 and 60 that was not there prior to gear change.

Is there anything that could cause this when they changed the gears. I have a 2 1/2" teraflex lift with stock CA's and driveshafts. 6 speed. Thx.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pawj112
Just had 4.88 yukons installed from a reputable local shop that specializes in jeeps. I have about 350 miles on my gears.

I have noticed a Driveline vibration between 50 and 60 that was not there prior to gear change.

Is there anything that could cause this when they changed the gears. I have a 2 1/2" teraflex lift with stock CA's and driveshafts. 6 speed. Thx.

Bumping an old thread. I have this issue as well, and it happened prior to reinstalling g the front driveshaft, which are both factory shafts. I took it back to the shop that installed the rear gears and they say it isn't the gears or install. The guy that did the work believes its the driveshaft. I'm not sold on that and noticed some play I'm the rear wheels. Had it up on jacks and there's a little bit of play and a clunk.... I can move the wheels in and out a little, as in toward the diff and away from the diff. I had planned to replace the wheel bearings but during research, have read that sometimes there's a little play in the wheels. Doesn't make sense to me but then again I'm no mechanic.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Really? Nobody? I've done some searches and all seem to point toward front end issues, but it's def not the front.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive been chasing down a mystery driveline vibe too. Get vibes at 40 and 55-60, any point between it smoothes out. Pulled the front d.s. and the vibe wasn't as bad, had it the balance checked and it was good. Took it to the guys that did the gear install for me, they checked everything out. Test drove it, put it on jack and ran it while they were up under it, checked gears , d.s., t case and couldnt come up with an answer. I have had this vibe since october hasn't gotten worse. Just gonna keep driving, seems to be my only option at this point.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm going to try and replace wheel the wheel bearings and see if it works. I don't like chasing things down like this, but they aren't horribly expensive.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

The lack of replies isn't very comforting. I'm starting to think this will be a long, draw-out process involving lots of frustration.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are these2 doors and are they lifted?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a 2dr. Ome hd coils, RK control arms. My front caster is 5deg. I bought and installed an already geared front axle prior to having the rear gears installed. I also run stock drive shafts. The rear pinion angle is pretty good, I installed adjustable jks coil perches. The vibration happened after the gear install, and I ran with no front driveshaft for a while after the rear was done, just waiting on free to do it.

There's no shake in the steering, it's nothing death wobble or anything related to that. Vibration starts around 45-50 and seems to go away after I speed past that. And I don't hear any noise, although its a soft top and I'm running 35in cooper stt.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 5:13s installed about 5k miles ago and I have the same slight vibration at 50mph. The shop rechecked everything and it all looked fine.
I think that it may be my driveshaft. Now with 5:13s the shaft is spinning at a higher RPM than it was with the 3:73s.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

DS Vibes get worse with speed. I can't run 5 degrees of caster with my double carden. I do have vibes.
Rotate tires front to back. If that doesn't work you may have to shorten the uppers arms to bring the pinion up.
3 degrees caster seems to be common with a aftermarket driveshaft.

Edit: that's if you have a aftermarket driveshaft

For those running stockers. Vibes are not as common with the stock Rzeppa joint unless a weight was lost/balancing issue.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveline vibration since gear change