Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shafts

Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your driveshaft angles should be fine with a 2-2.5" OME or TF lift. Don't forget the longer bumpstops or you could over extend the suspension and possibly tear the driveshaft boot on the auto transmission skidplate. Bumpstops and break line extensions are not always included in some of the kits.

Last edited by river2c; 08-25-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I am planning to do bump stops, longer break lines, upper CA's, fr and rear adjustable track bars. My concern is drive shafts with 30 and 44 on stock X.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

would stock rubicon shafts work and if so better then stock but semi comparable to aftermarket?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

The stock driveshafts work very well and should be trouble free as long as the angles are kept fairly close to stock (2.5" or less lift).
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

The Rubicon shafts are no different than the X shafts. The Rubicon transfer case outputs are slightly different. They are not designed for extreme angles which is why most people change to a Double Cardan Type (CV) Joint if they lift more than 3 inches.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the OME HD lift on my 4 door for about 1.5 years. Recently added 35's no problems until I took the wrong line on a good size boulder and came down hard on the front driveshaft. Making some noises and I can rotate the drive shaft by hand slightly without the differential moving. Guess I'll be replacing it soon.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow thanks for everyone's responses. I take it I will probably be safe for now but something I should look into for the future. I will get the suspension make sure its set correctly and eventually safe up and get the shafts.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer83l
It eliminated a vibe I had (could have been caused by the torn boot)
Just like racer, I lost some vibes when I replaced my stock shafts. And I have no doubt that they are stronger than stock, especially when flexed.
I've got the JE Reel 1310HD front and 1350 rear. This setup uses yokes except for at the rear of the transfer case where it's a flange.
Even with a fairly high caster number, they are smooth up to 85mph. Couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the shafts or the service from David at Northridge who put together the mixed package deal. David suggested the 1310 HD front would be the potentially smoothest setup with the yokes, and as usual his advice was dead on.
I'm running the OME HD lift with 3/4" & 10mm spacers F/R on a heavy 2 door and the stock shafts would have more than likely lasted a long time, but the aftermarket replacements are smoother and stronger.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edwin907
Just like racer, I lost some vibes when I replaced my stock shafts. And I have no doubt that they are stronger than stock, especially when flexed.
I've got the JE Reel 1310HD front and 1350 rear. This setup uses yokes except for at the rear of the transfer case where it's a flange.
Even with a fairly high caster number, they are smooth up to 85mph. Couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the shafts or the service from David at Northridge who put together the mixed package deal. David suggested the 1310 HD front would be the potentially smoothest setup with the yokes, and as usual his advice was dead on.
I'm running the OME HD lift with 3/4" & 10mm spacers F/R on a heavy 2 door and the stock shafts would have more than likely lasted a long time, but the aftermarket replacements are smoother and stronger.
Thanks man! I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: drive shafts