Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shafts

Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shafts

Looking at new drive shafts and am unsure of which ones to get. Heard a lot of good things about tom woods but there are several other company's making them also and was Jus wondering if anyone has had any experience with other drive shafts and get your input.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

If you go with TW's make sure to request spicer joints. Otherwise his "gold seal" joints are cheap Chinese crap
Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Keeping an eye on this one, I'm looking for the same info...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Replaced my front OEM driveshaft with a Coast 1310 back in June. Installed it myself with the help of a friend. Taken Jeep offroad on a few major trips since then, Colorado rockies and more recently Moab. Been very happy with it thus far. Quality seems good. I think the main thing to look for is if the ds comes with quality u-joints like Spicer brand.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace a bent rear drive shaft, the guys at 4WD Parts suggested Superior chrome molly and I've been wheelin hard on them for about 1 1/2 yrs and no problems.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Tom Woods front shaft. Getting a rear soon enough. They have a great warranty as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jpkjk
Looking at new drive shafts and am unsure of which ones to get. Heard a lot of good things about tom woods but there are several other company's making them also and was Jus wondering if anyone has had any experience with other drive shafts and get your input.
if you insist on getting a woods shaft, make sure to upgrade the u-joints to spicers or neapco. the crappy chinese u-joints they normally come with are junk. personally, i would recommend that you get a coast or je reel instead as they come with spicers and neapco and for about the same prices and without having to upgrade anything.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

So are all aftermarket drive shafts basically the same minus the u joint or does one actually Jus make better and stronger shafts?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Any thoughts on the AEV driveshaft that uses Rzeppa joints? Are they able to handle lift unlike the stock shafts? I'd rather not have to mess with pinion angles, control arms, and new yolks when my rear driveshaft goes out.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jpkjk
I have Coast Drive shafts Northridge sells them for a decent price. I have beat the crap out of them and they keep on ticking! Solid and reliable

Quick Reply: drive shafts