Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive shaft upgrade options

Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft upgrade options

There of course are several "manufacturers" but more importantly what should I be looking for in a new DS for my 08 Rub, auto, 2dr, 3.25" RC Susp L, future 37" tires w/ 5.38 gears?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

based on your previous thread and what you said about not wheeling hard, i would recommend getting a 1310 drive shaft. if you get one like the kind coast makes, it will come with new replacement yokes as opposed to flanges and, that is the way i would go. we run coast on our orange JK now and run 37's with it. northridge4x4 typically has these in stock and at a good price.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...-1310-JK-REAR2
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...-1310-JK-FRONT
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I can see the difference between the flange and the yoke but what is the functional difference? Is one easier to install versus the other? Is more more durable than the other? Could a novice with some "skill" install either one?

I keep seeing the the double cardan? Is this only on the yoke style or do they both offer it?

Sorry for the ignorance, just trying to get smart on all this . . .

Last edited by RedBeast; 01-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RedBeast
I can see the difference between the flange and the yoke but what is the functional difference? Is one easier to install versus the other? Is more more durable than the other? Could a novice with some "skill" install either one?

I keep seeing the the double cardan? Is this only on the yoke style or do they both offer it?

Sorry for the ignorance, just trying to get smart on all this . . .
all aftermarket u-joint style shafts use a double cardin. yes, a novice with some skill can install either one. the replacement yokes offer better operating angles and this helps prevent vibrations. here is a write-up that might help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on coast i have had my front coast 1310 on for about 3 months and have not had any problems with it.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Are you saying the replacement yokes have better operating angles than stock? Does the flange style hinder operating angles? Does the flange make it easier to install? Or are they both equally thye same difficulty in instalation?

Thanks for the links!!
Thanks for the back-up JayKay69.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RedBeast
Are you saying the replacement yokes have better operating angles than stock? Does the flange style hinder operating angles? Does the flange make it easier to install? Or are they both equally thye same difficulty in instalation?

Thanks for the links!!
Thanks for the back-up JayKay69.
the factory shafts use cv joints. some aftermarket shafts use replacement flanges and some use yokes. some would argue that the flanges are stronger and while that might be true, the operating angle they have isn't as good as a yoke and that often causes vibrations. they are the same difficulty level in installing. there were shafts that used adapters to make installation easier but they were even more prone to vibrations and i would not recommend them.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the flanges are also a good idea because your whole drive line will consist of common off the shelf parts, not dealer only parts.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Changing the flanges are also a good idea because your whole drive line will consist of common off the shelf parts, not dealer only parts.
too true. you can get 1310 u-joints and spicer replacement parts at most any napa autoparts store.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also agree ....coast DS ...no issues front /rear

Quick Reply: Drive shaft upgrade options