Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive Shaft Upgrade?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft Upgrade?

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding when a drive shaft upgrade would be needed. I have a 2010 2dr sport and am planning on a TF BB. I know the stock drive shaft should be fine with that, but would I need to upgrade if I went with 35" tires? I tried searching for related posts but couldn't find anything on this exact setup. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

on a 2-door, you only need to upgrade your rear drive shafts if you install a lift 3" or taller. and, you only need to replace your front shaft if you have an auto and have installed a 3" lift or taller or have shocks long enough to allow for the factory drive shaft to make contact with the tranny pan.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info and quick reply.

That's good news, any money I can save in one place can just go right into something else for the JK.

*On an unrelated note: I absolutely love your JK...coolest one I've seen yet for sure.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Drive shaft

I have a 2010 2 door Rubi with a TF 2.5" spring lift, about 6k on lift with 35's. I actually have about 3"s of lift... So far stock driveshaft doing it's job... No vibs. I guess time will tell.......
Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ctJK14
Thanks for the info and quick reply.

That's good news, any money I can save in one place can just go right into something else for the JK.

*On an unrelated note: I absolutely love your JK...coolest one I've seen yet for sure.
LOL!! thanks

Originally Posted by artzkat
I have a 2010 2 door Rubi with a TF 2.5" spring lift, about 6k on lift with 35's. I actually have about 3"s of lift... So far stock driveshaft doing it's job... No vibs. I guess time will tell.......
you wouldn't have any vibration problems. on a 2-door, the rear driveline angles will be too steep at 3" of lift or more and this will cause the cv boots to be in a constant state of pinch. over a short amount of time, this pinch will cause the boot to fail and then it's just a matter of time before the bearings fail as well. up front, if you have an auto, if you have too much droop, this will cause your factory drive shaft to catch on the lip of the tranny sump pan.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Upgrade?