Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shaft and tranny pan contact?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a couple of pictures of were it hits. this is on the driver side of the tranny pan and the little nub that sticks out is were it hits on the tranny and then goes down to the pan lip. it only goes up to about 1/4 inch from top of the nub and down from there. it is not hitting up high on the trans just looks clean cause i wiped off some of the fluid that is leaking.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

i can't be the only one with this problem bump for some evening turkey eating fools that may know
Old 11-25-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by codysanders
i have alot of mods and they are listed below in my sig. i still have a problem at full flex hiting my tranny pan and transmission. i have no tranny skid plate on my auto and went with a new rock krawler pan due to ripping my stock one with my coast 1310 driveshaft and not being able to get the skid to clear the driveshaft. i have the aev high steer kit, terra flex rear track bar bracket and jks front and rear track bars. they are adjusted to stock length and my axle is as far as it will go to the driverside wich is centered both front and back. my jk rides great and this is my only issue.

my problem is both in the front and back. the back driveshaft hits the gas tank skid and can be fixed with a smaller aftermarket one. the front however is a probelm i can't figure out how to fix. this only happens at passanger side front tire up on a rock and driver side tire drooped down. it causes the pan to leak and puts a nice 1/2 in ring around my driveshaft. i have no driveshaft vibrations and just had it checked out and rebuilt at a local shop just incase. it is like my whole engine, trans and tansfercase is mounted about a 1/4 to half in towards the drivers side vs other jks without this problem.

how do i fix this? are the motor trans mounts oblong holes and can be slide one way or another? i am at a loss thanks for the help.
Maker sure your axle is centered under your jeep. Adjust trac bars. That's all I can think of
Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the help, but i am centered and i have adjustable trackbars. this was in the first paragarph you quoted.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the above post. If you are lifted and have your track bars set to stock length, I don't see how your axles are centered.

How are you measuring your axles to check if they are centered?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mcc454
The idea on the adjustable track bars is to go longer than stock for your lift. Putting them to stock defeats the purpose I would think.

How? according to your sig you have a long travel lift and having the adj., track bars set to OEM your front axle will be to the left and rear a bit to the right.

To the right because the track bar is way to short for the lift which put your axle too far to the left.

I am not trying to be an ass but I have no lift on mine and put steel bumpers on it, which has now settled about 3/4" or so and mine moved. I just for the life of me cannot see the axles being centered on your Jeep with OEM length track bars. The only other thing that I can think of was that your Jeep was in a wreck and the frame got swayed or put into a diamond shape and it was not straightened correctly. You also do not need the rear trackbar bracket with the rear adjustable trackbar, that may be throwing you off as well and be the reason it is not short enough.

Just trying to help man.
yes that is the idea of the adj track bars but i have a aev high steer kit and a terra flex rear track bar bracket these both raise my roll center and make it drive and handle better. so by raising the mounts off the axle it moves it close to stock length. adj are still nice but they really are not needed (i have them already anyway and they can not go any shorter in the front to move it more to the left).

my speedbumps must line up inside my coils or they will hit and in the back they will need to line up with the frame. from measuring and looking at the speedbumps i am 99% sure they are centered but there is always that 1 % chance, but i still can't go the direction i need to with my axle cause the trac bar up front is already as short as it will go.

i see your point and that is mine as well. with the front to the left i still hit the trans if i am to far to the left in the front, it should be better correct? less of a chance to hit the trans but i am hitting it. i can't go any shorter than stock length and i am centered anyway.

in the back i could lengthen the track bar to miss the gas tank skid but i would then only be hitting about half of my speedbump. the gas tank skid is so minnor i am not worried about it really. i just put up the info to help diagnose the tranny pan problem.

thanks for the response i am not trying to be a ass at all either and i appriciate all the feedback. eventually someone will hit the nail on the head. every response gets me wondering and i keep going back out to the jeep to figure out what i can do. i am so tired of my trans leaking from this.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jdubb75
I agree with the above post. If you are lifted and have your track bars set to stock length, I don't see how your axles are centered.

How are you measuring your axles to check if they are centered?
aev high steer kit and rear terra track bar bracket both on the axle raises the mount for trackbars up and therfore close to stock length. the rear even has three holes to help adjust it if you don't have a adjustable track bar. the front however only has one hole.

i am using the the method that wol put up on the basic alignment. here is the link
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...alignment#axle
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

i just put on the brackets in hopes i would fix my problem. i had this problem prior to this and i could of moved my axle over a little more but it would not of ben centered if i did. i can not remove either bracket now without alot of work. i welded both of them on there. aev does not fit with pre installed evo c gussets so i had to cut off the axle wrap arounds and weld it in. the bolts all still lined up just the brackets would not fit over the evo gussets. so it should be mounted correctly if the bolt holes lined up the welding just gave it the up and down support the axle wraps would have.

has anyone shifted there motor trans transfercase just a bit? i really think my motor and trans has ben mounted from the factory about a 1/2 in to far to driver side. i hit my skid plate and trans pan with my stock shaft and a bone stock rubi disconnected. i have had this leak and problem since it was brand spanken new and stock. after reading all the posts on driveshafts for the 4 door i decided a new smaller driveshaft would fix this problem. i was wrong!!!!! now with all of the mods i have warrenty and a dealership is out of the question even if i would let them touch my jeep.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders

aev high steer kit and rear terra track bar bracket both on the axle raises the mount for trackbars up and therfore close to stock length. the rear even has three holes to help adjust it if you don't have a adjustable track bar. the front however only has one hole.

i am using the the method that wol put up on the basic alignment. here is the link
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...alignment#axle
My bad, I was on the iPhone app and couldn't see your sig for your mods. How many inches did you gain with the OME +40 lift? You may not need the high steer kit and TB brackets??? Is it possible that if you aren't high enough they are creating some geometry issues at full flex? Just a thought?

Were you having these issues before putting on the high steer and TB brackets or did you do it all at the time you put the lift on?

I would just try working backwards to when you first noticed the problem and see what changes you made right before it all started. If you made several changes at once it might be a little tougher, but from what I've read, if you didn't gain over 4" of lift I would start with the high steer and TB brackets.

***EDIT***
I somehow missed your post above about hitting before the brackets. I see that you have already answered some of my questions. Hmmm???

Last edited by jdubb75; 11-26-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setteling or trackbar too long in the rear would offset you to the driver side. I had a problem after throwing a 35 on the stock carrier or in the back of my jeep and it settled to the driver side.

Quick Reply: drive shaft and tranny pan contact?