Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive shaft thowing grease. Help!!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft thowing grease. Help!!

I have recently put 4 inch springs on the front of the JK to level out the 3 inch lift. Started smelling hot grease?????? The axle is now throwing grease at the transfer case/ driveshaft joint. Not sure whats going on, or what I'm going to need to do to fix it. My guess is that I'm going to have to spend more money...I have not replaced the front lower or upper arms or adjusted the camber.....so the front axle is still in the stock set up....Someone help me please...
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Usually with a 4 inch lift you have to replace the front shaft and eventually the rear, do you have aftermarket drive shafts?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
Usually with a 4 inch lift you have to replace the front shaft and eventually the rear, do you have aftermarket drive shafts?
I highly doubt that he did. He possibly ripped the boot on the driveshaft which caused the grease to fly all over the place. Pretty sure new driveshafts are in your very near future.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

You need a new driveshafts and control arms to adjust your caster
Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have an automatic?

If yes then your driveshaft contacted your crossmember and caused failure of the cv boot. Running that kind of lift you either need to cut relief into the crossmember to clearance the shaft or you need to do driveshafts and control arms.

I and MKJEEP ran with stock control arms for many months without issues he has an auto i have a manual. Sounds to me though that you broke off your clamp on the front driveshaft. Auto guys have to do more stuff then manual guys. You will need to do control arms and driveshaft unfortunatley.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Post Fyi

Both my drive shafts at the transfercase were slinging grease out of the boots from under the boot clamp.

And this was BEFORE I installed my lift ! !....SO I went to my dealer and had it documented before I installed my lift !

When the front boot got to slinging more grease several months later (post lift)
my dealer replaced it NO questions asked.

Now the rear is slinging a lot more and I have a appt this friday. Maybe they will replace the enitre rear shaft like they did the front ?? I do not know.

All both shafts really need is a new clamp design that stays in place and does not allow the boot to pull out from underneath it.

I DO have adjustable controll arms and have rotated my rear pinion up and corrected the caster in the front to OEM specs.

I beleive it is a design flaw that could be easily corrected.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

I think you will find it happening again. You dont mention your lift but the angle on the drive shaft is just to great with a 4 inch lift on a 2 dr. The boot leaking is just a sign that the joint is over stressed. Mine lasted 3k miles before they self destructed. Replacing with the factory style shafts will not solve the problem. Time to get after market shafts. Sorry.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Closer look...the grease is making it out at the boot because the clamp isn't keeping a good seal. More than likely because of the angle And yes...stock shafts. Anyone have a brand they like and didn't break the bank??
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

I ended up having them made locally. It was cheaper than just the Reel shafts. Six States Distributors made mine and installed them. They have worked great for 15k miles.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thissideup
Closer look...the grease is making it out at the boot because the clamp isn't keeping a good seal. More than likely because of the angle And yes...stock shafts. Anyone have a brand they like and didn't break the bank??
no, the clamp more than likely has made contact with your tranny pan. this is what happens when you install a 3"+ lift on a JK with an auto. as mentioned, you will be needing a new front drive shaft. for your purposes, a basic 1310 from teraflex might be your cheapest bet. give david at northridge4x4 a call and he should be able to hook you up.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft thowing grease. Help!!