Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shaft question for 6" lift

Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft question for 6" lift

Hey guys

I am thinking about going with a 6” life and 37s. I know it is recommended to change the drive shafts when installing such a lift however my question is, is someone running the stock shaft or added extensions to the stock shafts? And what is your experience with them? On and off the road
Note that this is not a pavement pusher, although, it does see a lot of it.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think with that sort of lift the stock driveshafts are useless as their diameter is too big and will rub on the transmission skid and other things. the aftermarket ones are alot skinnier and so will not have this problem. but then again i have no experiece with lifts that big
Old 05-16-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
i have an unlimited 6sp and am running a teraflex 6" LCG lift with stock driveshafts my rig sees a lot of off road as well as a lot of pavement. i know i will need to change them eventually but there is no time of death for these stock shafts. i would imagine out west (a lot of rock play) you would see stock failure quicker than here (water,sand,hill playing)
That is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, if I break them fine but I just wanted to make sure I could drive it until then lol

Thanks a lot for your responds
Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should periodically check the stock shafts because they don't handle the angles like the U-joints, you might start seeing grease being spattered from the boots on the driveshafts, then you should expect failure to happen shortly afterwards.

Quick Reply: drive shaft question for 6" lift