Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive Shaft question. 4" lift

Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Shaft question. 4" lift

Here is another DS question for you all to chime in on. I am getting ready to install my 4" zone lift. I have read at 4" you need at a minimum a new front drive shaft. My question is can I install the lift and run the stock DS. It will not be discoed until I get the new shaft. mostly DD until april when I can afford new FDS. my question is will my stock Front Drive shaft last a few months only DDing?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front drive shaft lasted 6 months before I had to replace it. I have a 4 inch lift on a 2 door. Rear is starting to go and I just ordered a new one.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Were you wheeling it at all disco' ed? Just Dding? What factors led it its demise
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 5" of lift on a two dr and rock krawl'd it pretty hard without swapping out driveshafts. So far only toor the front boot.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Front DS on the two door suffers more rapiddly than the 4 door. If you do not disco, you should be fine for awhile. Just periodically check the RZeppa joint out of the transfer, as the acute angle causes it to break. If you find grease around the area, you can also take off the DS untill you get the new one. Do not disconnect. When you disconnect, the DS boot hits the tranny skid plate, and it gets slashed. The rear DS should be fine. Right now I'm running close to 7.5" in lift, and replaced only the front DS. Did correct the angle on the rear DS with Adjustable Arms, and have inspected it at full flex on an RTI ramp and it seems fine also.

At least that was my exprerience with my 2009 4 door.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

07 two door 4" lift here......been DD for over a year with the front boot torn....only wheeled three times in the mud over the last year, but i never disco with the ds being in such bad shape. I've used 4wd about a dozen times in snow getting to work. Front ds clicks when in 4wd but I've never had it catastrophically fail....am i recommending you push yours that long or hard and tempt fate like I've been doing...no! But if you don't disco, are using it for DD, and don't flex the crap out of it, or crawl in 4low...2wd getting back and forth to work you can get by until you save the coin...and if you live where the weather is decent this time of year you could always just pull the front ds and roll with no 4wd until you replace it

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft question. 4" lift