Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive shaft problems on 2.5" lift.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft problems on 2.5" lift.

Anyone with a 2 door 6 speed have drive shaft issues with a regular 2.5" coil lift. My angle rear drive shaft angle is pretty steep after installing a Pro Comp lift. What should I do just wait for it to fail, get control arms to fix the angle, or control arms and new drive shaft. Anyone actually had a failure with a similar setup?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

I put on rear uppers and straightened out my pinion angle and have been running the stock rear for 3 years and a lot of wheeling. Just turning the pinion up a little really helps the driveshaft angle. Plus, when it does eventually go, all you need is to add the driveshaft because you already have the arms.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not yet. I put on a 3" lift that yielded 4" of lift. My rear pinion angle is adjusted so the springs just clear the trackbar. Today I received some rear spring wedges. They should eliminate the spring bow and provide better clearance. The angles on the rear shaft look pretty good. There is a fair amount of room for the shaft to flex before the rubber boot gets pinched. The front if fairly steep. I am planning to replace one as soon as problems are detected. I hope it is well after I replace wheels and tires.
I have adjustable front lowers and rear uppers.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

What type of rear upper control arms do I get. The cheapest I've seen are fought country. Will those due or are there better ones to get.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Google "Tom Woods fatal drive shaft angle". Its a good read on what happens to your Jeep when you lift it. Some good info on the drive shaft angles there. I have the 2.5 coil lift from Teraflex with shocks and front and rear JKS track bars. It drives just fine and I'm under neath it looking at everything almost each day. I think the rear shaft (which is more affected by lifts on a 2 door) is looking just fine. It's at more of an angle but I don't know if it will be an issue in the long run.

Last edited by ESP123; 11-07-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

It looks pretty steep but also don't know if it will really be a problem. I do some mild rock crawling and my group tends to drive fast over rough terrain. Don't want to have a problem on the trail.
Another question is I do the rear upper control arms. What angle do I angle my rear differential at. Do I angle it directly at the transfer case.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

My rear upper lca came with measurements to set the length at. Definitely helped make my rear DS have a better angle ( I have a 2 dr with Teraflex 2.5" 4 dr kit).

My thought about needing it for when I got a new DS at some point was the same as be other guy. It also helped the springs in the back sit more straight.

I should finish up installing my lift later tonight so I'll post more final feedback. I can say that the angle was pretty steep before putting the new upper LCAs on there. I was glad I got them!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

What type of control arms did you get.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dglenn
Another question is I do the rear upper control arms. What angle do I angle my rear differential at. Do I angle it directly at the transfer case.
The pinion should be the same angle as the DS while the Jeep is on the ground.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dglenn
What type of control arms did you get.
Teraflex. Also got front lowers too.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft problems on 2.5" lift.