Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive Shaft Install Questions

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Shaft Install Questions

I have read numerous posts regarding the installation of after market drive shafts and this leads me to have a couple questions. I'm looking for real world applications combined with personal experience and accounts. I will be installing JE Reel 1310 shafts with replacment yokes front and rear on a 2012 JKU Rubicon (1500 miles) with 3" of lift sitting on 35x12.50's. The first is caster, I'm looking to find out what caster most are running with a stock Dana 44 and a replacement 1310 shaft. I've read that stock 4.2* is good as not to cause driveline vibrations and 6* can lead to severe vibrations and t-case failure. Just want to avoid the worst case senario. The other question I have is regarding pinion nut torque. I know to install the new yokes properly you need a in. lb. torque wrench with the needle indicator to measure the preload torque. I don't have access to that type of wrench and can imagine that said wrench is rather pricey. Most installation recomendations start with an initial torque of 160 ft lbs then increase to reach the 5 additional in lbs of preload torque. How many have done just the 160 ft lbs and called it good? Did you experience any problems doing this and if so what kind and how were you able to fix them? If you haven't had any problems doing just the 160 ft lbs how long have you been running it like this? Any and all personal experience regarding these two inquiries is much appreciated. I'm just trying to avoid costly repairs down the road due to an improper installation. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Hey Jesse:

I followed WOL's write up on project JK and called it good. Just did a 1500 mile round trip journey to Moab without trouble. Get a good impact wrench to get the pinion nut off!

Edit: I'll get my alignment spec sheet and let you know my caster.

Last edited by MTG; 04-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed my coast 9000 miles ago using the same write up with no issues.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I had to borrow a 3/4" impact from work to get the nuts off. I called JE reel with another question and asked about the whole preload torque and he said I should be fine torquing to 160. The hard part was trying to get the bolts started on the transfer case shaft on the front. Little room made me pull the drive shaft out 3 time to ensure I didn't cross thread them. Also torquing them with an open end wrench sucked. I set my pinion angle to +1.3* (up) so I should have about 4.7* of caster. I just have to bleed the brakes and center the front axle and I'm off for a test drive tonight. Then hopefully all is good and off to the alignment shop. He said that he'd make sure everything is centered and adjust pinion angles if needed and to the alignment for $100 and they are very reputable in the off road community. Sounds like a good deal for a piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Install Questions