Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shaft failure

Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
agreed. if you chop your fenders or install bushwacker flat fenders, you can practically install 35's without any issues or the need for any lift. if needed, a 1" body lift will take care of the rest and without touching a thing on your suspension.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to remedy this noobiness, but its going to take more time!

So hypothetically, lets say I went with the RC 1.25" body lift, a set of steel 16" wheels in the proper offset, and those 315's (34.5's) along with maybe some flat fenders to eliminate rub in light 'wheeling... you guys think that would get me there reliably with no ill effects for now on my otherwise stock/auto Rubi 2-door?

Hopefully in a couple of years we'll move out to Colorado and I'll go nuts, but I'm looking to take a baby step for now...
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to remedy this noobiness, but its going to take more time!

So hypothetically, lets say I went with the RC 1.25" body lift, a set of steel 16" wheels in the proper offset, and those 315's (34.5's) along with maybe some flat fenders to eliminate rub in light 'wheeling... you guys think that would get me there reliably with no ill effects for now on my otherwise stock/auto Rubi 2-door?

Hopefully in a couple of years we'll move out to Colorado and I'll go nuts, but I'm looking to take a baby step for now...
yep, i think you would be fine with this setup.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yep, i think you would be fine with this setup.
Thanks bud. I'll keep on lurking around and trying to learn what I can. If anyone needs mod advice on the '05-09 S197 Mustang, let me know, lol.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone got a picture of the setup he's talking about? It might help him and others see how the fenders, body lift and tires fit together.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

IIRC, body lifts alone do not change steering geometry or driveline angles - so, there should be no issues.
Suspension lifts do change driveline angles and suspension component geometry.
Adj. control arms help a bit with the driveshaft operating angles (amongst other things like centering axle in the wheel well) but the correction is limited as a function of change to the caster of the steering axle. Replacement driveshafts of the type recommended are designed to operate at greater angles than the stock OEM units. Suspension lifts with adj. CA's and after market d-shafts will offer a longer service life, better handling and ride characteristics than those that don't.
Hope that helps to clear up my post.

Last edited by Bling; 02-02-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply: drive shaft failure