Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive shaft, exhaust, or both with 3.5" lift kit?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft, exhaust, or both with 3.5" lift kit?

I have a 2012 JK Rubicon Unlimted with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires. I currently have the front driveshaft off while researching what to do with the clearance issues. I actually have an AFE Y pipe but have not put it on as I have read conflicting reviews on it. Is there any option to just change the front drive shaft and leave the stock exhaust alone, if so what drive shaft is recommened?

Thanks, Vince

Last edited by Vince Koehn; 08-12-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello just buy a J.E. Reel 1310 heavy duty shaft if ur going with 35's or a 1350 if ur going with 37's or bigger. 4wd.com has them and it qualifies for free shipping
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bob-o
Hello just buy a J.E. Reel 1310 heavy duty shaft if ur going with 35's or a 1350 if ur going with 37's or bigger. 4wd.com has them and it qualifies for free shipping
My coast 1310's work just fine with 38's and according to NorthRidge what they recommended to me
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Just do the driveshaft and eliminate the exhaust issue
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vince Koehn
I have a 2012 JK Rubicon Unlimted with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires. I currently have the front driveshaft off while researching what to do with the clearance issues. I actually have an AFE Y pipe but have not put it on as I have read conflicting reviews on it. Is there any option to just change the front drive shaft and leave the stock exhaust alone, if so what drive shaft is recommened?

Thanks, Vince
I have a 3.5" lift an 35's on my 2012 Sport S auto. I didn't change the DS and opted to have the exhaust cut, bent, and welded back to give far more room than a spacer. Also, there is a risk that a spacer could leak over time. I may have spent an extra $40 to do it right IMO.

The DS has plent of room but I know it's the angle everyone worries about. The money is sitting in the bank to buy one but I figured why do it now if I never need to. I do very little wheeling and nothing at full flex. When that day comes I'm sure the process to need a new shaft will kick into high gear.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed a Coast 1310 driveshaft on my 2012 JKUR with a 3.5" RK Max Travel lift running 35" tires. The driveshaft's smaller diameter clears the stock crossover exhaust by about 1/8" at full droop. I also installed the AFE y-pipe because I was concerned that if I ever changed to another lift with more flex or if I went over something while on the trail at a weird flexing angle, that my driveshaft would still hit the crossover. I've been running the y-pipe for almost a year with no problems (bought my JKUR last August).

Last edited by bo9roadking; 08-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft, exhaust, or both with 3.5" lift kit?