Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive Shaft?

Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said no the factory Rzeppa can run at almost any angle without vibration. the issue being the rubber boot pinching, cracking, eventually losing grease and failing. Teraflex's high angle Rzeppa kit fixes that. They even went as far as combining their joints and a HD driveshaft. Im waiting for somebody to use a TF shaft on the front of a JK with higher caster. Wonder if it will help cure vibrations people have lifted and with deeper gears.
With that said JE reel will also customize a shaft using TF's joint at the TC end with your choice at the pinion end for 1/2 the cost of TF.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do I never see a CV joint on the axle end of the front drive shaft?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by casamtb
Good question
Old 10-05-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess... Just a guess... The front sees steeper angles. Not at ride height but being the diff is offset at driver droop the driveshaft angle can get pretty steep at the pinion.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Right? Which is why I am curious why the front isn't a cv.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right? Which is why I am curious why the front isn't a cv.
Because it would put the angle at the axle over it's limitations (14*).

Run the driveshafts at whatever angle you desire as they wont give vibrations. The only reason to set the driveshaft angle with them is too ensure there's no binding if your suspension has a lot of travel.

The one thing that I've always wondered is why people use double cardans on the front. If you use a single, conventional driveshaft, running it perpendicular to the t-case output would put you at 6* of castor (6* separation between castor and pinion angle). That would seem much more desirable in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Because it would put the angle at the axle over it's limitations (14*).

Run the driveshafts at whatever angle you desire as they wont give vibrations. The only reason to set the driveshaft angle with them is too ensure there's no binding if your suspension has a lot of travel.

The one thing that I've always wondered is why people use double cardans on the front. If you use a single, conventional driveshaft, running it perpendicular to the t-case output would put you at 6* of castor (6* separation between castor and pinion angle). That would seem much more desirable in my opinion.
Yeah i was wondering this also, a DC in the front wouldn't make much sense to me unless you had an aftermarket front axle with a specific pinion angle.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

The TC Output points up pretty good. I know its worse on 2012+. Could not imagine how much caster to make it work 8° plus ? There has to be a reason if nobody is running single carden in the front.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
The TC Output points up pretty good. I know its worse on 2012+. Could not imagine how much caster to make it work 8° plus ? There has to be a reason if nobody is running single carden in the front.
I would imagine that if you ran a single in the front it would bind up when you flexed out the front. The front usually has more travel than the rear.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft?