Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drive Shaft?

Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft?

Does the Rzeppa Joint like on both ends of the stock rear JK drive shaft function the same way as having a Single Cardan Joint at both ends of the driveshaft? They look like they should, but do they actually. Do the angles have to match in the same way at the pinion and the TC output shaft? I really have not found much info on this, and i am not real familiar with the Rzeppa Joint. Thanks

Rzeppa Joint on both ends.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rzeppa both ends.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	658174

U Joint on both ends.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2joint_angle.gif
Views:	253
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	658175

Last edited by YukonBlu; 10-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The rzeppa is good for 14* max travel on each end. They'll do better at speed and aren't as susceptible to harmonics as the standard ujoint.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The rzeppa is good for 14* max travel on each end. They'll do better at speed and aren't as susceptible to harmonics as the standard ujoint.

Yeah, but does the geometry work the single cardan drive shaft? Pinion angle and TC angles need to be as close as possible, or does it work kinda like a double cardan drive shaft? That is kinda what i am needing to know.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rzeppa Joint is more forgiving than single cordon. I spun my tubes and was still able to make it up the top of a mountain and back down.

Here are some pics of the Rzeppa Tweaked beyond the limits and it preformed well until I was able to get it on the flatbed truck.

Here is a picture of my new Tom Woods Driveshaft. I'm happy with it so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	658188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom Woods.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	658189  
Old 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I've had this conversation with a lot of people and feel like I never got the firm answer I wanted. But several people I trust agree that you set it up with the pinion matching the tcase angle minus a degree or so because the rear pinion goes up under load. So for a stock driveshaft, I match the pinion and tcase output angles.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

A single cardan speeds up and slows down twice in each revolution when not straight. With a single cardan on each end of the drive shaft, they are indexed so one is speeding up as the other is slowing down. When the angles are equal, they will cancel each other.

The rzeppa doesn't speed up and slow down with each revolution. With an rzeppa on each end of the drive shaft, the angles need not be equal.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Ya I've had this conversation with a lot of people and feel like I never got the firm answer I wanted. But several people I trust agree that you set it up with the pinion matching the tcase angle minus a degree or so because the rear pinion goes up under load. So for a stock driveshaft, I match the pinion and tcase output angles.
This is what i was thinking as well. Thank you

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A single cardan speeds up and slows down twice in each revolution when not straight. With a single cardan on each end of the drive shaft, they are indexed so one is speeding up as the other is slowing down. When the angles are equal, they will cancel each other.

The rzeppa doesn't speed up and slow down with each revolution. With an rzeppa on each end of the drive shaft, the angles need not be equal.
Ok, you you are saying the angles do not need to be equal, how close do they need to be. Some say they do, some say they don't lol.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

They can be what ever they you want them to be as the joint is a constant velocity like rcv's for a front axle. This is the same type of joint you find in vehicles with independent suspension, this allows varying angles of the axle while the suspension cycles up and down and the axle maintains constant velocity.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Originally Posted by Christian13
They can be what ever they you want them to be as the joint is a constant velocity like rcv's for a front axle. This is the same type of joint you find in vehicles with independent suspension, this allows varying angles of the axle while the suspension cycles up and down and the axle maintains constant velocity.
What about on the front stock JK driveshaft, where TC side has a rzeppa joint and the pinion side has a cardan joint, what do the angles need to be on this?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the front the balance more falls in with caster and pinion angle.

For handling, and driveline vibrations. Too much angle on the caster will usually give a bad angle on the driveline. Not a fun day on the highway.

At least, as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft?