Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shaft?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft?

i have a 07 unlimited 3.5 lift on 34s. its been on for a few yrs now. last night while making a turn i heard a clang from under the jeep. drove it around my house to try to find out where the sound is coming from. in rev there is no sound but in forward when you hit the gas there is. after starting it going there is no noise until you turn the jeep. the sound seem to be coming from the center of the jeep. looked under it didnt see any thing wrong. any idea
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could be so many things.
U joint , or Ring an pinion, but to be on the safe side, check all your wheel lug nuts.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

just weird does make noise any in rev. maybe cus more torque in drive?

Last edited by patrol65; 07-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey! I have the same thing! I have both coast driveshafts and when ever I turn and punch the gas to get moving, naturally the front end raises and then I hear like a pop noise from the front. I have sat under my jeep and wiggled/checked everything and it all seems to be normal and square. I don't know what it is- just keep running till it breaks. Jeep drives like a champ everywhere else for a 4" TF and 37's.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the extended warranty and never installed the double cardon front shaft. now do i pay a 100. to the dealer to fix what ever it is or just switch the shaft and see. i hope its not the trans case
Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I had the same kind of problem and noise. For me it ended up being the rear drive shaft. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it and the noise went away. So, eventually i need rear upper adj control arms and a new rear shaft to correct my angle or ill be replacing the shaft every 18 to 20 thousand miles.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

figs thats the drive shaft i havent bought
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

It could be the driveshaft hitting something under lateral shearing stress when gassing it with the wheels turned. You wouldn't see anything unusual if you looked underneath except for maybe a mark where things are contacting. my buddies TJ does this right now and his front driveshaft is hitting the arm on the transmission skid. If this is what's happening, I'd be sure your front axle is centered- if not, the DS could be moved to one side a little causing it to hit.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Giggle the drive shaft and I bet your u-joints are shot.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default maybe

after moving it back and forth in the drive way looks like the sound is coming from the rear driveshaft. after puting on rear bumper i noticed it sat a little low in the back. i bought spacers to put in but didnt get a chance to put them on. the lift is a re 3.5 so it is adjustable but think to late for that to.

Quick Reply: drive shaft?