Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drilling Steel Bumper?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issue with my FabFour front bumper 1" d-ring mounts, Tractor Supply sent me the next larger size, they wouldn't quite fit, so a few minutes with a air grinder and proper bit, and all fixed. And if you want big, they are big.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woffles
Is that a rule I"m not aware of? Didn't know they had a speed limit.

You should really have two handles on the drill. I use the second handle on mine when drilling larger stuff. I've snapped a 1/2 drill bit when it grabbed with no issues using two handles.
It is the way they are made. Anyone who has ever drilled steel with a 7/8" bit knows to go slow else it would burn up. I somehow doubt you broke that bit drilling with something in close proximity, else you would never blithely dismiss safety issues.

I too have had more than one bit break under various circumstances, had the one side handle and was prepared for a break, all that did was minimize the hurt, it did not prevent it, and I'm not a small guy.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't scare the guy , I know a drill can kick but really
Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by milehighjk
don't scare the guy , I know a drill can kick but really
Yes, really. Guys have broken wrists from drill bits grabbing and twisting the drill motor in their hands. A good 1/2 inch drill motor has a LOT of torque that isn't stopped quickly by an arm and wrist. Safety first in all our endeavors, we don't want any broken Jeep folks. I'm thinking the Dremel idea or a small air grinder is the best of all courses of action for this operation. It should be a minor thing to take .020" out of a hole that has paint or powder coat in it to begin with.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Well, I went to a local auto parts store and in the clearance bin was a package of bits with multiple sizes that had replaceable sand paper like tubes. I got the whole pack for $5 and used the bit that was real close to the overall size of the hole. About 40 secs of grinding in each hole and all is fixed and shackles are in. That was a way easy fix and hands and wrists still all work good!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Glad to hear everything is fitting together now. Even better that no one got hurt in the process. We did wear protective eyewear when grinding, didn't we?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Glad to hear everything is fitting together now. Even better that no one got hurt in the process. We did wear protective eyewear when grinding, didn't we?
Gloves and eye protection. My brother got a large metal shaving in his eye last year while working with a piece of steel. He had to go to the ER to have it removed. I don't know what was worse, waiting in the ER for that long (viewed as low priority by the triage) or the metal shaving itself, but I want no part of either.

Quick Reply: Drilling Steel Bumper?