Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drilling Steel Bumper?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CIJeep
That's funny, with a 7/8's bit you have to drill slow, and the torque on a 1/2" drill can slap your hand between the drill and the bumper and you'll be praying for help with a very LOUD voice.

Be safe, not sorry.
Is that a rule I"m not aware of? Didn't know they had a speed limit.

You should really have two handles on the drill. I use the second handle on mine when drilling larger stuff. I've snapped a 1/2 drill bit when it grabbed with no issues using two handles.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to go with the Dremel crowd.

Even better, find someone that's got a good pneumatic die grinder.

You'll probably have a much easier time just shaving away a little bit at a time insead of going out and buying a 7/8" bit, then getting it turned, then drilling that puppy out.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I used a cutting burr in my 1/4 air grinder; it took just a few minutes. Whatever you do don't take the suggestion to reduce the OD of the shackle pin. And when you hog out the hole take the material off of the back of the hole so you don't compromise strength in the direction of pull.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by woffles
Is that a rule I"m not aware of? Didn't know they had a speed limit.
Actually a 7/8 inch steel drill bit would have a speed limit. In mild steel it would be between 250 and 350 RPM depending on the steel composition and coolant flow. Faster than that and you will burn the edge off the drill in no time. Any cutting tool has a speed and feed limit.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go slow and make sure the handle of the drill is already on the bumper and when it grabs, LET IT GO!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Actually a 7/8 inch steel drill bit would have a speed limit. In mild steel it would be between 250 and 350 RPM depending on the steel composition and coolant flow. Faster than that and you will burn the edge off the drill in no time. Any cutting tool has a speed and feed limit.
Makes sense, thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

not exactly this one but remember those ?Attachment 22162
Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ridin' Dirty
Hardware store should have a bit that size cut down to fit in your drill.....but hang on it like GreytSilly said it's gonna grab!!!!PS oil can't hurt!!!
yup i was a machinist for 15 years you can get that bit from your local hardware store!!!as far as the size of the hole you stated .02 difference?thats only 20 thousandths about 4-5 hairs!!!!probably powdercoating in the hole!!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjhoop
yup i was a machinist for 15 years you can get that bit from your local hardware store!!!as far as the size of the hole you stated .02 difference?thats only 20 thousandths about 4-5 hairs!!!!probably powdercoating in the hole!!
Yep, I got out my caliper to check how far off it was, .02 exactly. I think I will try the dremel route first. Hoping that does the trick. I did drill out the light mounting tabs with a 1/2" bit as this hole was a little too small too. That cut like a piece of cake! Since this is a much thicker part, I was a little more cautious about drilling.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely not going with a smaller clevis. I want it as heavy duty as possible.

Quick Reply: Drilling Steel Bumper?