Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drilling into underside of hard top

Old 10-18-2021, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling into underside of hard top

Any experience here with drilling into the underside of a JK hard top? I want to mount some netting and a snow scraper holder. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

It’s just fiberglass. If you really want to put a hole in it then you would be better Kay to do it. Be sure to use a rubber washer on the top side of the bolt so you aren’t introducing any water leaks. You can also use silicone too.

Another option is to use Velcro for a quick fist type mount for the ice scraper. You can possibly use glue to glue some pads to the inside of the top. Those pads can hold a snap for each corner of the net you want to use. Just some alternative ideas so you’re not drilling the top.

Again, it’s just fiberglass so you can always fill the holes you drill with some epoxy and fiberglass powder mix.
The following users liked this post:
Scott2012 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

Just to expand a little on what SV advised. Same thing but when you drill through it the roof is double skinned with a hollow center in most places. What I would do is what SV said but add a fiberglass or PVC tube the size of the bolt and the width of the two separate skins. Glass or epoxy it in which will leave you with a solid mount to tighten the bolt against - not too tight though. So to recap EG if you had a 1/4" bolt then the top hole to the exterior will be 1/4", then the tube might be close to 1/2" diameter with 1/4" inside and that will slightly protrude through the bottom skin to the interior and be glued in place. Drill the larger hole in the bottom skin and do all the tube fitting and epoxying first then drill the hole through the top skin after glue is dry. Bit long winded for just a hope but roof leaks are no fun.
The following users liked this post:
Scott2012 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

If it was me, and I have thought about doing this to the freedom panel to put an overhead Ram Mount, I would drill through the first layer and then install a rivnut rather than drilling all the way through. Just be careful tightening the rivnut and use some epoxy or something like that on it when installing it so it can't spin on you when you tighten or loosen your fastener.

If you are trying to make a storage attic for sleeping bags and such, I just purchased and installed the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Storage Attic in mine and installation was a breeze. https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/collections/vehicle-attics/products/jeep-jku-attic

Not the greatest pic but you get the idea….

Last edited by chiapeteater; 10-19-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Drilling into underside of hard top