Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drilling holes for foglights?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling holes for foglights?

Im lookin to buy an aftermarket bumper but sadly most arent set up for OEM foglights, is it possible to drill out the proper holes in any bumper and use the exsisting mounting hardware off the stock one? love to hear some feedback so im not stuck just setting on one.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon09JK
Im lookin to buy an aftermarket bumper but sadly most arent set up for OEM foglights, is it possible to drill out the proper holes in any bumper and use the exsisting mounting hardware off the stock one? love to hear some feedback so im not stuck just setting on one.
You could. But it would probably be a PITA to tighten up the nut on the under side. By a hoop for the new bumper. Mount the lights on the hoop.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is possible but I would just get one that has the fogs already. There are a lot out there that have them. JCR has the holes, Rough country hybrid stubby has them, Rock Hard shorty stinger, Rampage, Warn Elite, Warn Rock Crawler, AEV, ARB, Fab Four. Just to name a few.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012djk
It is possible but I would just get one that has the fogs already. There are a lot out there that have them. JCR has the holes, Rough country hybrid stubby has them, Rock Hard shorty stinger, Rampage, Warn Elite, Warn Rock Crawler, AEV, ARB, Fab Four. Just to name a few.
Ya they are out there. But I know what the OP is talking about. Its hard to find one with: #1 - reasonable price. #2 - W / built in foglight mounts. #3 - Low winch mount. #4 - Mid width. And #5 - Looks Good.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was other bumpers I liked more, but for durability and most of all low cost, I'm real happy with Pavement Ends front bumper. Uses OE fogs, has d-ring mounts, available winch mount. @ $200, you don't feel as bad scratching and dingin it up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03097.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	387341Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010648.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	387342
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Brandon09JK
Check out LoD bumpers. Their pretty reasonable.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding fog lights holes to an aftermarket bumper that wasn't built for them would take quite a bit of fab work to make it look good. Your first problem would be getting two holes through the 1/4" steel. Without a laser or water jet, you'll have a hell of a time getting a hole that big to look nice, unless you happen to have 50 brand new hole saws at your disposal. Once you get the holes in it, you'll need to add a recessed mounting brackets for the lights. If I remember correctly, mine sit about an inch and a half deep into the bumper.

What exactly are you looking for in a bumper? I'm sure that we can help with suggestions if we knew what you were interested in.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ya they are out there. But I know what the OP is talking about. Its hard to find one with: #1 - reasonable price. #2 - W / built in foglight mounts. #3 - Low winch mount. #4 - Mid width. And #5 - Looks Good.
LoD is all that and American made.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two options to consider is a rugged ridge front bumper. I have one and it reuses the fog lights from the stock bumper and mounts them in a similar location. Or #2 buy flush mount D2 lights from rigid industries. I'm going to place them in my rear bumper as backup lights
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, looks like i have some decisions to make. i was looking into drilling an evo bumper but from everyones answers ill have some new options to look into.

Quick Reply: Drilling holes for foglights?