Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

the dreaded Death Wobble!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I was lucky. My cause was easy to spot. The track bar relocation bracket aided in tearing the factory welds completely off the axle. It was a long 9 or 10 miles back to town with a top speed of 5 mph. A little welding and new adjustable track bar and problem solved..
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wing79
I had a 4" full lift kit from fabtech. that was installed by a 4x4 shop and had terrible death wobble about a year after it was installed. They couldnt fix it, the dealership couldnt fix it, I wasnt able to fix it with my limited knowledge at the time. So I was forced to sell it. Not just cause of the DW but I had a baby on the way and I didnt want him to not have a father so it went. I now have a 2009 JK Sahara with 33" tires. I am so afraid to put a lift on this thing with all the DW issues I have heard lately. I need a dependable vehicle that I can drive everyday and cant have any downtime with problems. I cant afford to have a 4x4 shop install a kit, and I am no mechanic. I am not sure what to do, should I give it a try. Is it really possible for a newb to install something like a OME lift kit successfully and safely with only limited knowledge. I just dont know what to do
unfortunately, the shop who installed your kit didn't know what the hell they were doing or what to look for. likewise, the fabtech kit comes with a terrible track bar relocation bracket that attaches to the axle mount and it has been the source of DW for others. leave it on long enough and it would have torn your track bar mount clean off your axle - I HAVE SEE THIS HAPPEN.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
EXACTLY!!!

because you haven't been able to fix it, the dealer hasn't fixed it..... and it will cause more damage by continuing to drive it.... not to mention it is fricken dangerous to drive it
I hear ya....but I just started trying to fix. Should I give up after two days?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finn
I hear ya....but I just started trying to fix. Should I give up after two days?
no not at all... thought you had been dealing with this for a while. By all means try to resolve it on your own first
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if there is a pattern here, it is that just about every single one of these DW cases were on jeeps that had BB's installed by newbies or by dealerships who probably have no idea what they are doing. i have personally installed maybe a dozen or so BB's on jk's and i don't know a single one of them who is having DW issues. plain and simple, a budget boost WILL NOT cause DW but improper installation or improper reassembly of components CAN and WILL. needless to say, you almost never hear about people having DW on a jk with a complete lift kit but more times than not, these are installed by experienced jeepers and/or qualified mechanics.
So, what exactly do you think us newbies are doing incorrectly? Not torquing the trackbar? Anything else?? I have heard this before but nobody says exactly what could be installed incorrectly. I'd like to know so that I can look for it. I followed your instructions exactly as written and had no problems for 7 months.

You would certainly know better than me, but I haven't noticed so much of a trend with BBs. In fact, I went on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website and searched their complaints. It is littered with death wobble complaints. Granted, they don't always say what modifications, or not, were done, but I can't believe that every one of those folks is a newbie with a BB installed. I got the impression that a lot of them were bone stock. The trend I noticed was that this death wobble issue started occurring around 20,000-30,000 miles, the dealership always blames and then replaces the steering stabilizer, and then nothing else can be figured out.

Last edited by Finn; 03-17-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

So, what exactly do you think us newbies are doing incorrectly? Not torquing the trackbar? Anything else?? I have heard this before but nobody says exactly what could be installed incorrectly. I'd like to know so that I can look for it. I followed your instructions exactly as written and had no problems for 7 months.
then I would guess in this order, loose part, bad bushing, bent part.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

not torquing the track bar is typically the number one thing that i see newbies miss. most of the times, it's because they don't have a good torque wrench and just assume they can get the bolts on tight without one. initially, things will be fine but over time and some wheeling, they work themselves loose and then make themselves be known. unfortuantely, DW is so violent that just one episode can and will loosen up or damage a lot of other components making it harder to find and eliminate the problem.

i should also note that i make it a habbit to check all my suspension bolts after every 2-3 hard wheeling trips. experience has taught me that even with everything tightened to spec, wheeling WILL loosen things up and checking them should be a part of routine maintenance.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

so in other words you highly recommend preventative maintenance? Not to be a d1ck I understand this is frustrating and DW is scary as chit! BUT there is always a cause... so it is just a matter of process of elimination.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
so in other words you highly recommend preventative maintenance?
ummm, you could say that
Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
did you make sure to torque your track bar bolts anyway? in more cases than not, i have seen DW occur on jeeps with small lifts and on ones that were installed using spring compressors and without disconnecting the track bar.
Question: does a bigger lift screw up the factory warranty?

Quick Reply: the dreaded Death Wobble!