Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

the dreaded Death Wobble!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Another one?!?!

I suggest to create a "Death Wobble" section

I Don't know whether to laugh or cry
if there is a pattern here, it is that just about every single one of these DW cases were on jeeps that had BB's installed by newbies or by dealerships who probably have no idea what they are doing. i have personally installed maybe a dozen or so BB's on jk's and i don't know a single one of them who is having DW issues. plain and simple, a budget boost WILL NOT cause DW but improper installation or improper reassembly of components CAN and WILL. needless to say, you almost never hear about people having DW on a jk with a complete lift kit but more times than not, these are installed by experienced jeepers and/or qualified mechanics.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXACTLY!!!

Originally Posted by Finn
For me, dealership first (could be a free fix), then try to fix it myself, then a reputable 4x4 shop. Why go straight to a 4x4 shop when you can try some stuff yourself???
because you haven't been able to fix it, the dealer hasn't fixed it..... and it will cause more damage by continuing to drive it.... not to mention it is fricken dangerous to drive it
Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a 2 inch rusty's coil kit with no problems and never disconected the track bars. no issues as long as you have coil compressor puting springs in. rides like near stock and no wobble
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by flyguy2928
I installed a 2 inch rusty's coil kit with no problems and never disconected the track bars. no issues as long as you have coil compressor puting springs in. rides like near stock and no wobble
did you make sure to torque your track bar bolts anyway? in more cases than not, i have seen DW occur on jeeps with small lifts and on ones that were installed using spring compressors and without disconnecting the track bar.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

I have done several Full lifts with adjustable track bars and no DW.

I too have seen a few BB lifts with no adjustable track bar and the entire front diff is shifted over. That in my opinion is a certain contribution to the DW.

Loose Track Bars are also an element of DW.

Adjustable track bar seems to do the trick, and 125lbs of torque
Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Cesar
I too have seen a few BB lifts with no adjustable track bar and the entire front diff is shifted over. That in my opinion is a certain contribution to the DW.
naw, an axle that is shifted over WILL NOT cause DW.

Loose Track Bars are also an element of DW.
a loose track bar is more than just an "element" of DW, it is what allows DW to occur. everything else that can be off is an element that can instigate DW.

Adjustable track bar seems to do the trick, and 125lbs of torque
an adjustable track bar will just allow you to recenter your axle - it will not fix DW. making sure that your bolts are tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque with the weight of your jeep on the ground is critical.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Just curious...if a jeep has an adjustable track bar, properly lined up and torqued to 125 lbs, what other reasons can exist for DW or serious vibrations in those rigs with Budget boosts with unmodified control arms? Now I am concerned that I may have given bad advice to 1 member of the forum.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
naw, an axle that is shifted over WILL NOT cause DW.

a loose track bar is more than just an "element" of DW, it is what allows DW to occur. everything else that can be off is an element that can instigate DW.

an adjustable track bar will just allow you to recenter your axle - it will not fix DW. making sure that your bolts are tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque with the weight of your jeep on the ground is critical.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Cesar
Just curious...if a jeep has an adjustable track bar, properly lined up and torqued to 125 lbs, what other reasons can exist for DW or serious vibrations in those rigs with Budget boosts with unmodified control arms? Now I am concerned that I may have given bad advice to 1 member of the forum.
if everything is tightend to the proper torque spec, bad bushings, wollowed out mounting holes or a mount that is flexing and/or failing will allow DW to occur. a lack of caster is also a good instigator of DW forces.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Makes sense. I will be on the look out next time I hear of that.

I replaced my bushings in my aftermarket control arms. The rear were completely shot, I felt the rear shift everytime I punched the gas, but no DW, I can certainly see how that could happen.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if everything is tightend to the proper torque spec, bad bushings, wollowed out mounting holes or a mount that is flexing and/or failing will allow DW to occur. a lack of caster is also a good instigator of DW forces.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 4" full lift kit from fabtech. that was installed by a 4x4 shop and had terrible death wobble about a year after it was installed. They couldnt fix it, the dealership couldnt fix it, I wasnt able to fix it with my limited knowledge at the time. So I was forced to sell it. Not just cause of the DW but I had a baby on the way and I didnt want him to not have a father so it went. I now have a 2009 JK Sahara with 33" tires. I am so afraid to put a lift on this thing with all the DW issues I have heard lately. I need a dependable vehicle that I can drive everyday and cant have any downtime with problems. I cant afford to have a 4x4 shop install a kit, and I am no mechanic. I am not sure what to do, should I give it a try. Is it really possible for a newb to install something like a OME lift kit successfully and safely with only limited knowledge. I just dont know what to do

Quick Reply: the dreaded Death Wobble!