Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drag Link Issues

Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Link Issues

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Would like some insight on my wife's 2007 JK Unlimited X. Im uncertain of the amount of lift on it but it is sitting on 37" tires. When you make sharp right turns the drag link slaps back and then forth after you turn the wheel back to the left.

I found that I can rock the drag arm up and down to recreate the same issue. Does this just mean the ball joints or bushings at the ends of the drag link are worn out or is there some adjustment that can be made to remedy this? Also curious to know of the amount of lift changes the drag link part number that I'm looking for. And yes, I see the tie rod bushings/ball joints look overdue for a change so I was going to fix those at the same time.

Than you for your time and insight.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

If you're talking about being able to "twist" the drag link to create motion then that is just normal misalignment that is intended to be in the joint there. From past experience with blow drag links, I've found that when the joint goes bad a common signal is bumpsteer when there was previously none (hit a bump and the steering wheel will give a single jolt to a side).
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

A way to check those joints for play is to have someone move the steering wheel back and forth (engine running) about 1/8 turn (just enough to take up any lost motion) while holding a finger in a safe spot to feel for play in each joint. A tiny amount (like a couple thou) is OK, and of course any visual play our noise (like a clunk) is very bad. If in doubt about what's safe to get fingers and hands on, just make it a visual and audible test. As resharp001 mentioned, a joint that twists is normal.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me fellas. It does do the 'bumpsteer' as you mentioned resharp001. So I'm guessing they are worn out. If it was just a little play I would think it was normal but i can pretty easily rotate it up until it hits a mechanical stop and makes a clunk sound with my hand. I think I'll just R&R the drag link and tire rod, bushing/joints included.

Can you tell me if the jeep being lifted has an impact on the part itself? Any difference in the lengths of those parts or is it safe to order based on a stock '07 JK?
Old 07-08-2022, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I think it was your first thread, and not somebody else's, that I posted pictures to determine lift height. have you checked that yet? I can't recall if you had alignment specs or caster adjustment. I mention this because if you're lifted over 3" and have low caster, bumpsteer is a side effect there too. That said, steering components on a solid axle vehicle are pretty important, and that could likely use some freshening up in general, especially since it has 37s on it. The lengths really aren't changing enough due to the lift. Usually, the problem is someone at stock height looking at aftermarket parts that can't be set short enough cuz most aftermarket parts are targeted at lifted vehciles. Take a look at the components Metalcloak has. They are primarily direct-to-consumer so you're not going to find their parts on most retail sights. They really aren't that much more expensive than the low-end manufacturers and the product is multiple times better.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks resharp, I saw your reply about measurements for determining the lift. It wasn't a reply to my post but it was a new-ish post. I read through it before making my post, looking for any helpful information that might solve my problems without having to create a post. I'll check out that site and see what they have for me. Appreciate your helpfulness and quick responses.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Most of the lifted jeeps you see out on the road aren't done very well. People buy them and just know they want the look of a lifted jeep so they walk into a store like 4WP and presume they are talking to the experts who will guide them along. Most those shops peddle liftts that will appeal to budget-conscious folks. They're not concerned about selling them a quality long-term setup. Heck, when the customer has complaints about ride quality they'll come back at which point that shop will have another product to sell them that will fix all their issues. Somewhere along the line the jeep passes through hands and new-to-me owners try to sort out what the heck a previous owner did, or in many cases did not do. Enough of my rant....that is just how it typically goes.

Fortunately, there's still a decent group of folks that still hang around the forum(s) and are willing to help out the newcomers. I'm probably around more often than most just cuz I sit in front of computers all week long and have some downtime. I'm thankful for others that have been around longer than me and are still here adding support that continues to maintain a wide range of expertise. Mr.T is certainly one of those individuals.
The following users liked this post:
Papawolf (10-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The 37's and the dual stabilizers are what is causing the issue.

Quick Reply: Drag Link Issues