Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drag link flip and Tie rod

Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenks
Well I made my decision, placed an order for a set of Steer Smarts yeti tie rod and drag link. Going to use the Rock Krawler raised front track bar bracket as I was impressed with their rear brackets build. Was really torn between the Synergy, Yeti, or Fusion 1Ton but went for the larger parts. Hopefully this will be the last set I will have to buy. Thanks to everyone for all the inputs and will update when they come in.
Trust me you will love the quality and design of the SS links.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unsure of how you came to the conclusion that you "went with the largest parts" when you more-so went with the smallest parts per the choices
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Unsure of how you came to the conclusion that you "went with the largest parts" when you more-so went with the smallest parts per the choices
I was a little confused by that myself. The Fusion 1ton tie rod and drag link are much bigger than the Yeti. And stronger. The Fusion 1ton stuff is solid 1.5" 7075 T6511 aluminum.

I guess if you bought Steer Smart's marketing spiel, maybe. I don't. Not to say the Yeti is decent stuff. But there's stuff out there that's better for the money.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

yeti extreme is 1 ton, i believe Fusion is as well.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 09-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
yeti extreme is 1 ton, i believe Fusion is as well.
Just sounds as if you work for yeti or they pay you to talk about their stuff.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Lol well I can say that Fusion doesn't sponsor me, nor do I work for them, and I wouldn't recommend anything other than their 2.5 Ton kit. I get that it's not for everyone due to price but at least I won't have to buy a different one in however many years. While I watch my friends go through tie rods every year or so.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Or gives him free stuff. LOL!

Doesn't matter. Yeti is good stuff. I just don't buy all the marketing hype as being more than just that. People say the same thing about me when I talk about JCR Offroad. I like their stuff. I don't work there and they don't sponsor me, but damn nice products!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the Yeti dl and tr and I can tell you they are built. My buddy (posts on here as panhead sometimes) who works as a tech in a large ford truck dealership and has been working on them close to 40 years saw mine and ordered his own. He has seen all kinds of steering components. I can also tell you the DOM tubing is strong and the joints are incredibly strong. There might be stronger ones I don't know but Steersmarts are built to last for the long haul. I can tell you on the Dusy a few weeks ago mine augered in full weight on a rock and didn't budge.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Or gives him free stuff. LOL! Doesn't matter. Yeti is good stuff. I just don't buy all the marketing hype as being more than just that. People say the same thing about me when I talk about JCR Offroad. I like their stuff. I don't work there and they don't sponsor me, but damn nice products!
Yep but i really dont care if somebody buys it or not tho.

Curious, why dont you buy into their marketing ? At least they can back it. What other link manufacturer actually makes OEM parts, Has a team of engineers , test lab, etc? Have you been to the site or Power&sons?
http://www.powersandsonsllc.com/index.html
They dont supply the current links on the JK but will the JL next year and will be much better.

What im saying here .. SteerSmarts is not some 3 man company pumping out steering links from a garage or worse ... sourcing parts from China. They are the real deal, 100% made in USA and do care about our safety.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

For the same reasons I don't buy into any manufacturer's own tests and claims. I don't take the ARB locker test video for anything more than what it is, a video created by the manufacturer. Had the ARB failed before the competitor, that video would never have seen the light of day.

Considering all of the shoddy parts that are OEM on a Wrangler, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into them being a supplier for the next model. That doesn't tell me anything.

And, anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. "I ran XXX brand for years with no problems" doesn't mean diddly to the guy who had problems 3 weeks after using XXX brand.

But, for what it is worth, I think the no flip drag link is a neat idea, but should be discarded for serious off roaders. The stud on the TRE is smaller. No way to get around that. The stresses on that joint are huge on rocks. The last thing I want is a smaller component on my Jeep. Maybe there's a really good reason no one else has done it that way. I do not base this on any actuall engineering knowledge or experience. Then again, I'd rather have that joint fail than my sector shaft.

I tout JCR because I like the products, I really like the company, and I especially like the people that own it and work there. The only JCR anything I have on my Jeep that was given to me, was the front bumper I won at JK Freak Fest. The only things JCR ever gave me was a hat and a t-shirt - oh, and a hoodie when I got my EVAP skid. I don't get products to review, I don't get prototypes to test fit. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. I really wish they would, though. And I don't get upset if someone doesn't buy their stuff as there are options for every budget and style.

Quick Reply: Drag link flip and Tie rod