Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drag link flip or drop pitman arm?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag link flip or drop pitman arm?

I've been dealing with steering problems for about 2 years now.It's a 2010 rubi JK lifted 4 inches with 35s. First I got it aligned and inspected by an alignment shop too figure out why I get death wobble, bump steer, whatever it is when I'm on a back road and I go over uneven surfaces and bumps. Well they said I needed adj. LCA'S and adj. track bar so I got those and it made it much better but still got it when I hit potholes. Took it again after I got sick of it and they said new steering stabilizer which I know I know doesn't fix any kind of thing you should be able to drive without one. so I bought the ats 2.0 fox SS. They checked everything they said and I got it back today and went down some dirt roads that I know where I get it and what do you know it gets it on some but not all of the holes I get the DW on. Everything I've done has fixed it a little more and had made it more stable but hasn't fixed the initial problem...IM STUCK! I've read forum after forum and all I can think of now it's my drag link and track bar they aren't perfectly parralel. I've spent a lot of money and time trying to fix this and i want a solution. Flipped Drag link kit or dropped pitman arm? I'd rather go cheaper if it's going to fix it like the pitman arm but if I have to drag link flip it is.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Steersmarts yeti no drill flip drag link is what you seek. I have heard no good things on the pitman arm.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

lifted 4 inches
adj. LCA'S and adj. track bar
ats 2.0 fox SS
Fill in your profile. Let us see specifically what was included in the lift, not just these added parts. You could also note the tires, the load rate, and the psi you run them at. And the alignment specs.

figure out why I get death wobble, bump steer, whatever it is
Maybe you could explain that better? Are you getting death wobble? Or just a occasional bump steer? Or flighty steering? Or ... ?

How far off from parallel are the trackbar and draglink? (snap a pic of the front end that shows both ends of both bars in the same picture. Open it in paint or whatever, and draw straight lines from bolt hole to bolt hole. Then compare those two lines).

The drop pitman is said to exert extra pressure on the steering box. There are also comments that using a drop pitman has the trackbar and draglink moving in different planes, which could induce a little bumpsteer depending on how the suspension cycles.

A draglink flip/high steer raises both the trackbar and draglink from the axle instead of dropping from the frame. While more expensive than a drop pitman and frame bracket, most will tell you that a flip is the better route to take.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

I'll update everything ASAP I get off work tonight at 6
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default What you describe sounds exactly what happened to me

Blidds,
What you describe sounds exactly what happened to me. I have a 4" lift and 35" tires. One day when trailing, I hit a pot hole going too fast. From that moment forward, I had a wobble that I could no get rid of. The wobble became very noticeable going over 35 mph. I couldn't drive with it. I really didn't want to hide it with a steering stabilizer either. I wanted it fixed. Fortunately, I live close to a garage that specializes I Jeep modifications. They installed a drag link flip for me and I haven't had a problem since. It has been 4 or 5 years now since I had it installed.

I recommend trying the drag link flip. I think you will be very happy with he results.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

After I put the drag link flip on would I have to get yet another alignment or is it easy enough to do by myself? I'm sorta skilled I've put lift kits on and all but I've never done alignment or anything?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No alignment needed. The flip only affects the angles of those two bars, making them less steep, having them work more parallel to the ground. Doesn't touch the caster/camber/toe.

But before you decide to just throw money at it, again, describe what the actual problem is. If it is deathwobble, you need more diagnosis. If those bars are not currently parallel, you should figure out why, since moving one end of both bars will keep them just as non-parallel as they are now. (my first thought is you got a RC 4" lift, that comes with a drop pitman, and either it or the trackbar bracket are not installed)

From reading the reply by bananas, his sounds to me more like everything was fine, he hit a hole and bent or loosened something, then replaced that bar or tightened that particular bolt, and it stopped. So, the way it reads, the flip wasn't the 'fix', what helped was tightening the bolt that had loosened up...

If you are interested, there is a DIY Alignment writeup up in the writeups area. There is an Index stickied up towards the top. It is linked in both the Troubleshooting and the Steering areas I think.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-03-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

I will send pics of front end after work. And it's a teraflex lift with RK lower control arms and Teraflex HD track bar
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3709195167.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	653843

My front end and for my complaint as you guys said to describe. My jeep drives well on main roads but if I go back a dirt road or a road with lots of potholes (I live in Pa so a lot of those are here) the jeep will begin to shake (the tires and steering wheel) I can actually see the go side to side like I was jerking the steering wheel left to right as fast as I can and it will make me stop have to stop or it gets worse. It doesn't do it on all pot holes but most.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

I also feel like I see a bend in the drag link is that normal?

Quick Reply: Drag link flip or drop pitman arm?