Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drag Link Flip

Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Drag Link Flip

I've spent a few moments looking to find a write up - didn't see anything jump out at me, so I'll go ahead and ask. "Can you / how do you - flip the factory drag link on the JK?" I've already ordered a bushing for when I drill out the knuckle, and a replacement pitman arm (had a dropped arm on it now). I have heard that you can flip the OEM drag link, but have not actually seen one. Any input or pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub23
I've spent a few moments looking to find a write up - didn't see anything jump out at me, so I'll go ahead and ask. "Can you / how do you - flip the factory drag link on the JK?" I've already ordered a bushing for when I drill out the knuckle, and a replacement pitman arm (had a dropped arm on it now). I have heard that you can flip the OEM drag link, but have not actually seen one. Any input or pics would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have a flip drag link but I've seen them and looked at installation videos on YouTube. I have never seen a stock drag link flipped. I doubt if it can be done because the bend needs to go the other way.

Most flip kits come with the tapered bushing you will need once you drill out the existing tapered hole in the steering knuckle. I am not a fan of this design mainly because you are taking a tapered hole which is very sturdy and drilling it straight to put a bushing which is not tapered on the outside but only on the inside. Unless the bushing's inside taper causes the bushings diameter to expand in the straight knuckle hole, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Also, if you do a drag link flip, you really should modify the track bar bracket(s) to maintain correct geometry.

I have a 4" Rancho Sport Lift with drop pitman arm and drop track bar bracket. They were engineered to work together from the get-go. My steering has always been solid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130629_120413_032.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	503733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130629_120424_219.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	503734  
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axle end of the factory drag link is fixed. You need a factory Right Hand Drive drag link to flip to the top of the knuckle. I believe they go for about $70, give or take.

If you're going thru the effort, get a better link with better ends, Synergy or Carolina Metal Masters, or RK but you either have to use factory ends or a Moog alternative.

Also, as the above post point out, you need to raise the axle end of the trackbar 3" to match the drag link angle and height. The drag link and trackbar have to be parallel and in the same plane as each other or else you will have issues.

A drop pitman arm and frame trackbar drop bracket work at keeping the angles correct, but both lower the front roll center (inducing more body roll) and put more stress on an already weak steering box.

It's also recommended to raise the rear trackbar at the axle as well if you have not already when you raise the front. The rear should be slightly higher than the front to give you a positive roll axis. It's liveable without it, but will drive like shit if you leave the rear lower than the front. Again I don't advise trackbar drop brackets in any way shape or form.

Last edited by JKred; 10-09-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Drag Link Flip