Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

double throw down front with bolt on coilovers in the rear????

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double throw down front with bolt on coilovers in the rear????

looking into going to coilovers. i know that there are a million threads floating around about this, but i have not seen this combination mentioned.
Would pairing the double throwdown in the front, with the bolt on rear coil over system be an effective combination?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 AM
JK Freak

I'm not a pro with this but I have been down to evo a bunch and am currently waiting for parts to arrive and they will be insatlling my coilover setup. I think that the dtd setup in the front will be awesome. but if you only go with the bolt on setup in the rear it will fall short. u will not be able to fully enjoy the benefits of having the additional bypass shocks up front with only the coilover in the rear. for the fast stuff the front with be sucking it up but the rear will bottom out and not be able to keep up.. in other words, you will have the sickest setup in the front that is totally limited by the rear. i mean, it will def work but you are really gonna want the extra bypass shocks in the other two corners. if u go with the bolt ons in the rear and decide you want the dtd in the rear(which i'm betting is what will happen), you will need to totally swap the rear setup for the lever dtd.

if you want the dtd in front, do the evo lever dtd kit in the rear as well but just use the coilovers for now. you can always do the dtd kits in front and rear but just add the bypasses later. this will save you on the initial bill but you will be ready to bolt on some bypasses once you have more money. this will also keep you on the "do it right the first time" path. you will have the coilovers you want, with the option of adding bypasses. call and talk to Jake at Evo, he can give you the best advice for what you are thinking!!

Last edited by rtguy1; 11-26-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtjk
looking into going to coilovers. i know that there are a million threads floating around about this, but i have not seen this combination mentioned.
Would pairing the double throwdown in the front, with the bolt on rear coil over system be an effective combination?

Thanks in advance!
While the DTD setup front and rear would be ideal, the bolt on rears would definitely be a significant upgrade over stock, I could see the rear of the Jeep holding you back some when doing higher speed stuff due to bottoming out but a set of air bumps can help mitigate that. While I'm not certain if they will fit or not, if cost is a concern a happy medium might be to run Fox's 2.5 internal bypass coilovers in the rear, instead of the DTD setup.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by alanscott1
While I'm not certain if they will fit or not, if cost is a concern a happy medium might be to run Fox's 2.5 internal bypass coilovers in the rear, instead of the DTD setup.
prob want to stick to evo spec stuff on all four corners at that price level to ensure the valving/spring rates play nice together
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by jtjk

Thanks in advance!
We have had customer go this way already. He's running the double throw down tower without the bypass shock along with the rear bolt on system.

That way he can upgrade to the bypass shock when he's ready upgrade to the cantilever in the rear. Eitherway you want to run it, its far superior than any other coilover system on the market.

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 11-26-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rtguy1

prob want to stick to evo spec stuff on all four corners at that price level to ensure the valving/spring rates play nice together
Fox is more than capable of coming up with the proper valving and spring rates based upon that specific vehicle/ customer's needs. Its just simply another option to consider.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd suggest the opposite. I have the bolt on system frt and rr. If I was to do it again, I'd of gone bolt on in frt and the lever system in the rear.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by highwayman
Personally I'd suggest the opposite. I have the bolt on system frt and rr. If I was to do it again, I'd of gone bolt on in frt and the lever system in the rear.
assuming you are talking about running the single EVOlever system (no bypass shock). The rear can not be upgraded to make it a double throw down (bypass shock and coilover). You must replace the subframe, arms, hardware etc.

Most customers go with a double throw down tower in the front with a coilover, then run bolt on coilovers or just coils and shocks in the rear. In order to save money and If you plan on upgrading in the future to the double throwdown system...
just food for thought
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
assuming you are talking about running the single EVOlever system (no bypass shock). The rear can not be upgraded to make it a double throw down (bypass shock and coilover). You must replace the subframe, arms, hardware etc.

Most customers go with a double throw down tower in the front with a coilover, then run bolt on coilovers or just coils and shocks in the rear. In order to save money and If you plan on upgrading in the future to the double throwdown system...
just food for thought
This is the route I took. I had the DTD in the front and just ran the coils and shocks in the rear till I saved up enough for the rear lever system with DTD. I intially thought about going with the bolt on coilovers in the rear but GCM explained to me that I would be short changing myself and the capabilities of my jeep. Well, I am certainly glad GCM changed my mind! The rear EVO lever system with DTD is no joke! Just yesterday I drove my jeep out into a field to cut down a tree that was dead. The field was not level or even to say the least. I had a buddy with me who was driving his dodge 2500. I drove through the field at a pretty good pace and the jeep just seem to "float" through the field. The ride was amazing. And pulling back onto the road there was a deep little ditch that I just drove through because I can Well, my buddy was behind me as I drove and he said the flex of the rear was just amazing. He said it was also impressive watching the suspension cycle as I drove through the field pretty fast. Point is the EVO front DTD and rear lever DTD system are worth the money and work flawlessly!

Last edited by tattedfire; 11-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: double throw down front with bolt on coilovers in the rear????