Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I don't disagree with the data. My view is that when a grade 8 fails, it snaps. When a grade 5 fails, it bends first and dissipates energy. If you talk to people in the rigging industry, they don't use grade 8 for anything. Another example is that Factor 55s locking winch bolt is grade 5 (they know a little about winching and strength).

Talk to the guy that runs Rausch Creek. He's seen first hand when winch bolts sheer and the winch let's go. Same story each time; bolts replaced with off the shelf grade 8.

Obviously, it's just my opinion based on my research. I'm not an authority on the topic, but logic tells me that there is wisdom in crowds.
I'm certainly no expert either. "Wisdom of crowds" -- After posting I googled a bit, and what an utter mess of opinions out there. It's apparently been a regular discussion for many years now. Even people that claimed to be engineers in the field were arguing. I'm leaning toward it just doesn't matter, and either is strong enough and won't fail if properly torqued and the plate fits the winch right. I hear what your saying about the guy at Rausch Creek, but it's just one person's observation. I read that Warn advised using grade 5 (not sure if that's still the case or when it started), but if it's really a safety issue wouldn't all the other manufacturer's follow suit?

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-27-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Here's an excerpt from the manual for my winch (superwinch 9.5i), apparently they have no problem with using grade 8 instead of grade 5.

WARNING: If different length bolts, nuts, washers and other hardware are required for your installation, always use hard-ware that equals or exceeds the strength grade of the supplied hard-ware.
If it really was a safety issue, and with all the internet controversy for years, I don't think they would be stupid on this, or asking for negligence lawsuits.

Edit: This is from a Warn manual http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/im...87969A0_rs.pdf

Installation Safety
Always use grade 5 (grade 8.8 metric) or better hardware.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-27-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think you'd shear 4 properly torqued properly sized bolts, before you'd snap the cable or rope?

Also I've never seen a winch that could squeeze through the fairlead even if it did shear the bolts...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath
You think you'd shear 4 properly torqued properly sized bolts, before you'd snap the cable or rope?

Also I've never seen a winch that could squeeze through the fairlead even if it did shear the bolts...
Don't think they'd design the bolts to fail before the winch rope. There's a shear strength calc in the link at post #18 above.

Bottom line is that two major winch manufacturer's plus a fastener manufacturer say it's fine to upgrade to grade 8 from grade 5. They've got liability, skin in the game.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Don't think they'd design the bolts to fail before the winch rope. There's a shear strength calc in the link at post #18 above. Bottom line is that two major winch manufacturer's plus a fastener manufacturer say it's fine to upgrade to grade 8 from grade 5. They've got liability, skin in the game.
Right.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Talk to the guy that runs Rausch Creek. He's seen first hand when winch bolts sheer and the winch let's go.
Guarantee you if any if those story's are true, that was from loose or over torqued bolts, not from being grade 8.

Did those winches that "let go" pull through the fair lead like a cartoon?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath
Guarantee you if any if those story's are true, that was from loose or over torqued bolts, not from being grade 8. Did those winches that "let go" pull through the fair lead like a cartoon?
Obviously, it was just like a cartoon. The immediate dissipation of energy causes the carbon molecules in the winch body to momentarily collapse and flatten the winch like a pancake.

Well, sounds like either are fine and my reading had been biased to grade 5 believers.

Quick Reply: Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!