Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Good chart, but it doesn't point out proper application. Grade 8 is not safe for winch mounting and many other applications. There's a very good reason that Warn ships grade 5 with a $1500 winch and it's not to save $0.50.
Correct, this is a general fastener chart to show the differences between grades. My purpose in providing this chart was to show how much "weaker" a stainless steel fastener is compared to a graded carbon steel fastener.

I agree 100% that you should always use what the manufacturer supplies. The OP references a RECON winch and not a Warn so the fastener grades could be different. My advise would be to consult the owner's manual, website, customer service, etc.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure we are all following which bolt. To the plate and frame or the plate and winch?

Post a pic OP.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay. But it's the bolts to mount the winch plate to bumper. The winch is already attached to winch plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	555987   Click image for larger version

Views:	157
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	555988   Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	555989  
Old 05-27-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is one of those setups where you tap the frame?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

the winch is bolted to the winch plate. then the winch plate is bolted to the bumper only. the bumper is attached to the frame
Old 05-27-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the bolt we can see at the front, won't back off now? If so, get a big pry bar and shove it between the plate and the bumper and get someone to now up on it while you try to remove the nut. An air or electric impact will prob be your only hope. You need pressure on the back of te nut though and I don't see another way of doing that than prying the plate and bumper apart. It shouldn't hurt anything as long as you are careful.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, it's the rear empty spot. I was finally able to back the bolt out but now when I try to install a bolt, it only goes in half way and stops. I think because when I forced it earlier, it was going in at a slight angle due to the round gear box just slightly being in the way
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

...You should never use grade 8 or SS bolts for mounting a winch. There is a very good reason grade 5 bolts are used. Grade 8 is too hard and they don't flex, they sheer. Best way to kill someone and watch your winch fly off into the woods is to use something other than grade 5 on the winch. ...
I use grade 8 bolts instead of 5 all the time, shear or tensile load, winches included. Here's a manufacturer's article on the subject Grade 5 vs Grade 8 Fasteners | TineLok . They even use winch mounting as an example. The bottom line of the article is that Grade 8 is stronger in both tensile and shear, and refute the grade 8 is too hard (brittle or fatigue) assertion.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I use grade 8 bolts instead of 5 all the time, shear or tensile load, winches included. Here's a manufacturer's article on the subject Grade 5 vs Grade 8 Fasteners | TineLok . They even use winch mounting as an example. The bottom line of the article is that Grade 8 is stronger in both tensile and shear, and refute the grade 8 is too hard (brittle or fatigue) assertion.
I don't disagree with the data. My view is that when a grade 8 fails, it snaps. When a grade 5 fails, it bends first and dissipates energy. If you talk to people in the rigging industry, they don't use grade 8 for anything. Another example is that Factor 55s locking winch bolt is grade 5 (they know a little about winching and strength).

Talk to the guy that runs Rausch Creek. He's seen first hand when winch bolts sheer and the winch let's go. Same story each time; bolts replaced with off the shelf grade 8.

Obviously, it's just my opinion based on my research. I'm not an authority on the topic, but logic tells me that there is wisdom in crowds.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't disagree with the data. My view is that when a grade 8 fails, it snaps. When a grade 5 fails, it bends first and dissipates energy. If you talk to people in the rigging industry, they don't use grade 8 for anything. Another example is that Factor 55s locking winch bolt is grade 5 (they know a little about winching and strength). Talk to the guy that runs Rausch Creek. He's seen first hand when winch bolts sheer and the winch let's go. Same story each time; bolts replaced with off the shelf grade 8. Obviously, it's just my opinion based on my research. I'm not an authority on the topic, but logic tells me that there is wisdom in crowds.
http://www.nsl-aberdeen.com/safety_materials.html

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...RDS&p_id=10686

North Sea Lifting, the largest lifting-rigging safety company in the world would disagree with your statement about grade 5 fasteners in rigging.

Rigging and lifting equipment is held to a completely different standard than what tog think.

I'm sorry to be rude to you man but you are talking out your ass.

The higher the grade, the higher the minimum yield strength, as in, the more it will give before breaking.

I'm afraid your anecdotal attitude toward metallurgy doesn't hold up to the proven science of physics.

Quick Reply: Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!