Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!

Ok, so I messed up and its my own fault but now I need some advice to fix my problem.

I have a Rampage Marathon style front bumper with a Recon 10,500lbs winch installed. Well the bolts that came with the bumper to attach the winch plate to the bumper have rusted! And they look horrible. So I decided to upgrade them to SS grade 8 bolts. I ordered the bolts, they arrived, and as I started to remove the first old bolt, I realized that when I installed the winch I had to put 2 of the bolts in the winch plate before hand and have my buddy hold the winch up while I started them. Well, didn't have a buddy to help so I removed the front right bolt with not issues and replace with new SS bolt. The front left bolt is a Factor 55 winch locking bolt so no need to replace.

The rear right bolt came out easily, but the new bolt was about a half inch too long and hit the edge of my winch body. So, I was patient and smart and ordered a new bolt that was a half inch shorter. Waited over the weekend for the bolt to arrive and when I went out to install it......its still too long! By about a 1/4 of an inch. Now I'm super frustrated (on top of other things that have not gone right the last couple days and 3 hrs sleep)

So I make the dumb, tired, frustrated mistake of just trying to make the bolt work anyway! NOT SMART! As I began wrenching it down, it scraped and dug into the aluminum winch body alittle but I figured if I could just get it screwed in just far enough, I can always put alittle paint on the winch and VOILA, nothing hurt.

Well, didnt exactly work like that. I did get it passed the winch body, but it was at an angle and I could feel it getting harder and harder to tighten until I couldn't tighten it any further. Then it took me forever to try and back the bolt out.

After that, I removed the end of the winch, where the gears are, and had a clear shot to the hole (should've done this in the first place, but again, impatience, frustration, and sleep deprivation got the best of me)

I started to wrench down the bolt and it only got about 3/4 of an inch and began getting harder and harder to tighten until I couldnt get anymore to go. And the bolt was at an angle just like the first time.

So I assume I have either double threaded the hole in the bumper or have done some kind of damage.

My question is.....does anyone have any idea of what I should do next? Or can I leave it with just the 3 bolts? I dont want to worry later while winching that the winch is gonna fly off the bumper!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(please try to keep the criticism to minimum if possible, I know I screwed up and did this to myself, so dont need any extra ridicule)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could try drilling the hole out(just slightly, enough to remove the threading on the winch) and then just put the bolt back through with a nut on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

*well a new nut and bolt that's not cross threaded lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the bolt. SS threads get jacked up easily. Curious, are these bolts that also hold your winch on? You should never use grade 8 or SS bolts for mounting a winch. There is a very good reason grade 5 bolts are used. Grade 8 is too hard and they don't flex, they sheer. Best way to kill someone and watch your winch fly off into the woods is to use something other than grade 5 on the winch.

I'm going to guess that the bolts you have are not safe to use. Manufacturers aren't cheap when they don't send SS bolts, they are sending the correct bolt for the application. If rust is an issue, use some anti-seize. Regardless, you have to use anti-seize with SS or you will be able to remove them.

Right now, the threads have flattened out on your bolt. Try applying back pressure and use an impact. Then, toss the bolts and get the correct ones.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok.... So grade 5 is the way to go? Well, I'll get some new ones and see what happens. Thanx for the heads up
Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NateSamJK13
Ok.... So grade 5 is the way to go? Well, I'll get some new ones and see what happens. Thanx for the heads up
Correct, grade 5 for winch mount and do not use SS. I believe bumper bolts are grade 8. Dab a small amount of anti-seize on the bolts if you are in a northern climate and they rust. Just check the torque once in a while.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I will go get grade 5 bolts. But, what about the hole that is double threaded or stripped or whatever? is the new bolt going to fit into it after me trying to force the SS bolt in?
Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NateSamJK13
Ok, so I will go get grade 5 bolts. But, what about the hole that is double threaded or stripped or whatever? is the new bolt going to fit into it after me trying to force the SS bolt in?
Doubt the nut is damaged. Most likely just the bolt. The nut should be replaceable thought. Isn't it a square nut that is in the winch mounting point?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Square nut is captured in the base of the winch.

You most definitely want all four (4) bolts to secure the winch to the bumper.

Bolt grade chart for reference...

Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Square nut is captured in the base of the winch. You most definitely want all four (4) bolts to secure the winch to the bumper. Bolt grade chart for reference...
Good chart, but it doesn't point out proper application. Grade 8 is not safe for winch mounting and many other applications. There's a very good reason that Warn ships grade 5 with a $1500 winch and it's not to save $0.50.

Quick Reply: Double threaded bolt on winch plate! HELP!