Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Door Sill Protection

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used 3M grip tape that I've had in the toolbox for a few years.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar jeep ones as well .. been in for 3 years im rain, snow mud etc .. they still good
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flea
I just used 3M grip tape that I've had in the toolbox for a few years.

I was thinking along the same lines. How did it work out? Did you end up using two strips for each door? Pic?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight115
I was thinking along the same lines. How did it work out? Did you end up using two strips for each door? Pic?
I actually used three strips. I'm sure it can be done cleaner than mine, since I did mine with insufficient lighting, used chalk to draw a straight line, and not-so-sharp scissors. With proper lighting a tools, it could be cleaned up some. I really don't think it looks bad at all. Personally, I prefer the look over the Mopar ones. The tape not only provides protection, but it also adds a lot of traction.

Here's a quick cell picture I just went out and took.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Huk
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used something similar to the 3m tape ( pickup truck bed rail liner'). It worked ok. My problem was that I tried to use one wide piece to bend around from the inside across all the bends until it reached the 'outside'. The tape didn't have enough grip to hold itself around the final bend. If you do it on flat surfaces like the last pic you will be fine. But you can't have a tape edge that ends on a radius or it may peel up later on.
Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flea
I actually used three strips. I'm sure it can be done cleaner than mine, since I did mine with insufficient lighting, used chalk to draw a straight line, and not-so-sharp scissors. With proper lighting a tools, it could be cleaned up some. I really don't think it looks bad at all. Personally, I prefer the look over the Mopar ones. The tape not only provides protection, but it also adds a lot of traction.

Here's a quick cell picture I just went out and took.

Thank you. Think I'm going to try this.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Huk
I used something similar to the 3m tape ( pickup truck bed rail liner'). It worked ok. My problem was that I tried to use one wide piece to bend around from the inside across all the bends until it reached the 'outside'. The tape didn't have enough grip to hold itself around the final bend. If you do it on flat surfaces like the last pic you will be fine. But you can't have a tape edge that ends on a radius or it may peel up later on.
Good luck with whatever you do.
Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply: Door Sill Protection