Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Door Latches/hinges

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Latches/hinges

I'm getting started on my custom half doors and was wondering if anyone has used any aftermarket latches, or found any cheap used ones? Also, same questions with hinges. I figure I can make the hinges pretty easy, but if I can get them cheap, why mess with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Due to my poor bending of latch rods for aftermarket power locks, I decided to go "factory" for the RR and LF doors. (RR because of my poor bending, LF due to high expected usage)
I don't know that any of our sponsors offer OE latches, but the latches can be found as "collision" parts from various CDJ dealers with internet sites. I paid less than $50 for each power latch, with the RR being the most expensive of the 4 doors. (reason unknown) The manual latches were all under $40.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TJ/YJ hinges would probably work, assuming the pin is the same diameter. Probably cheaper than buying JK ones from the dealer.

As far as latches, I thought about using something like this. It will probably have to be modded a little but it should work. They're only about $3 at Lowe's.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
TJ/YJ hinges would probably work, assuming the pin is the same diameter. Probably cheaper than buying JK ones from the dealer.

As far as latches, I thought about using something like this. It will probably have to be modded a little but it should work. They're only about $3 at Lowe's.

That just looks like a latch from a swimming pool fence gate??? What would the advantage be to using one of those?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
$3 at Lowe's.

If its good enough for the wooden 1/2 door guy..........?

chuck
Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColinW
That just looks like a latch from a swimming pool fence gate??? What would the advantage be to using one of those?

Your doors won't fly open, duh!!!!

It's cheap and easy. They seem pretty strong. I can't see any reason not to use one.

I've been looking at Mcmaster for a paddle-style handle similar to the ones Bestop uses, but I haven't found one yet.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try Moore Industrial Hardware. They have all sorts of latches and such.

Quick Reply: Door Latches/hinges