Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Door Hinges

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wanting to be a smart ass or anything but you did remove the torx screws before trying to lift the doors off the hinges right? The doors don't just drop into place. I just don't see how the door pins that swivel freely in the hinges would not lift out if the torx were removed.

Please update.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Not wanting to be a smart ass or anything but you did remove the torx screws before trying to lift the doors off the hinges right? The doors don't just drop into place. I just don't see how the door pins that swivel freely in the hinges would not lift out if the torx were removed.

Please update.
yea that is so wierd i have owned a jeep since 1999 and never greased or anything and never had this problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepsride
Funny I came upon this post. I just brought my 08 2dr in because all 4 of the hinges paint are bubbling up. Dealer took pics of the hinges and is sending it out to Chrysler for warranty. It has been a week so far and no call back. I suggested just getting Kentrol Stainless POWDER COATED hinges and bolt them right on. They are considering. It will cost the dealer more to order the part and pay someone to paint them than it would to pay $140 for the new part.
Mine are doing the exact same thing.. The Jeep isn't that old at all so i don't see any good reason why these hinges are deteriorating so fast and that time span.. I'm thinking of contacting EVO and seeing if I can get their hinges without the polished stainless.. And then powder coating them from there..
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler

Please update.
They were removed.. I figured it would be a real easy thing to do as the door open and close no prob, albeit stiffer then they were new.. But ended up being a nightmare to break apart..
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem but found a solution. For me I had someone push upward on the door as I carefully moved the door in an opening and closing motion. It took about 15 minutes but the door would raise up a 1/16th at a time and then another 1/16th, and so on until the door came off. After that I put some white lithium grease onto the pins and now they pop right off.

On the aftermarket front, there are some stainless steel aftermarket hinges out there.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. It took hour but i finally got the hinge pins up and out and found that the bushings had very little teflon left on them, it was peeling off in sheets. I ordered all new bushings and it works like a dream now. My hinges them selves are all bubbled up and my dealer says they'll be able to get them replaced under the corrosion warranty. I probably should have waited and saved myself the $150 in bushings cuz they probably would have replaced those as well. And furthermore, if you don't live in new england, you don't know what the salt they put down will do to these vehicles and fast. My frame is corroding at an alarming rate and I need to have a rubberized undercoating done ASAP
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
I had the same issue. It took hour but i finally got the hinge pins up and out and found that the bushings had very little teflon left on them, it was peeling off in sheets. I ordered all new bushings and it works like a dream now. My hinges them selves are all bubbled up and my dealer says they'll be able to get them replaced under the corrosion warranty. I probably should have waited and saved myself the $150 in bushings cuz they probably would have replaced those as well. And furthermore, if you don't live in new england, you don't know what the salt they put down will do to these vehicles and fast. My frame is corroding at an alarming rate and I need to have a rubberized undercoating done ASAP
I'll call the dealership today.. The frame was the next worry in my book.. I can honestly say that for an "offroad vehicle", I've been extremely disappointed in the durability across the board.. Chrysler was the worst thing that ever happened to Jeep imo..
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Update:

Just got off the phone with Chrysler, and they looked for every reason possible not to honor their warranty concerning the hinges. The reason - I live in what they consider the "salt belt" and hinges that are badly corroded and freeze up are not considered factory defects.. So I asked her if having a $30k that has 4 doors that barely work in acceptable - She wouldn't answer the question until I pushed the issue.. At the end of the whole deal, no matter what I said, or what reasoning I gave them that this situation is unacceptable for a vehicle in this price range and age, they didn't care.. I even went on to ask if she thought it was normal to have to buy $400 worth of replacement hinges after this amount of time.. Again, no response.. No wonder why Chrysler has always been a distant 3rd with the big 3.. Poor service and a poor product.. I'm bullshit right now..

Quick Reply: Door Hinges