Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Door Hinges

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Hinges

Replacing the door hinges on my JK.. Took the doors off for the week, and had to unbolt them from the Jeep itself.. Started working to free them and grease them up last night, thought it was going to be a straight forward thing to do.. A couple of them are pretty corroded and most of them where all but frozen together.. Ended up taking me 3 f'n hours to get all the hinges free and the doors back on the Jeep.. I was fuming.. So I'm going to get new ones and powder coat them for better longevity and protection.. My question is, does anybody make better replacement hinges for the JK's, or am I stuck buying the same pieces of garbage??
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why did you have to unbolt them again?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

They wouldn't separate, they were pretty much frozen..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rws
Replacing the door hinges on my JK.. Took the doors off for the week, and had to unbolt them from the Jeep itself.. Started working to free them and grease them up last night, thought it was going to be a straight forward thing to do.. A couple of them are pretty corroded and most of them where all but frozen together.. Ended up taking me 3 f'n hours to get all the hinges free and the doors back on the Jeep.. I was fuming.. So I'm going to get new ones and powder coat them for better longevity and protection.. My question is, does anybody make better replacement hinges for the JK's, or am I stuck buying the same pieces of garbage??
Was there a problem with simply removing the door via the hinge pin.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Was there a problem with simply removing the door via the hinge pin.
Yes, couldn't budge them which is why I had take the bolts out of the door jam to get the doors off, and also to get more leverage on the hinges to pry them apart and grease them.. I was going to strip them and powder coat them to prevent corrosion and wear better, but these hinges are awful in design and quality.. that's why I posted this thread to see if there are better hinges out there to replace the OEM hinges..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, that's weird man. You'd think that if the pin would rotate in the hinge, allowing the door to open and close, that it would be loose enough to lift out. Guess if it sticks next time, try some wd-40 or some penetrating oil.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

You'd think that'd be the case, but it wasn't.. So the first thing I did was soak it down with WD-40 and tried working it in the hinge to loosen it up.. Went to lift the door off and thy wouldn't budget - not even a hair.. So I ended up having to unbolt them from the Jeep, put the door on some horses, and went to town on the hinges.. It was hell getting them off.. Like I said, 3 hours to finally work them loose.. Got them loose, greased them up and they work good for now.. There's a couple of them that are pretty hacked and gauged from the prying I had to do to get them to budge.. That's how bad they were stuck..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had the dealer replace mine under warranty since they were bubbling and rusting...you might want to try that?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws
Funny I came upon this post. I just brought my 08 2dr in because all 4 of the hinges paint are bubbling up. Dealer took pics of the hinges and is sending it out to Chrysler for warranty. It has been a week so far and no call back. I suggested just getting Kentrol Stainless POWDER COATED hinges and bolt them right on. They are considering. It will cost the dealer more to order the part and pay someone to paint them than it would to pay $140 for the new part.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Drop them in aircraft paint stripper and bed line them!

Quick Reply: Door Hinges