Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Door ding prevention mod......

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ding prevention mod......

Im trying to come up with something to atleast make the doors swing open a little slower, so as not to ding another door while trying to get in and out, especially if your hands arnt free to catch the door. Was thinking about using a "ram" like someone on here used to stop the tailgate from crashing open, only smaller. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Last edited by 00pumpkin; 07-16-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 AM
JK Freak

Just saw your post and was thinking out loud - would some sort of bungee work (like the heavier rubber ones) where it would run along the existing door strap and maybe require a little more effort to open it beyond where the bungee starts stretching? Of course the downside might be the extra pull back in the closed direction (e.g hitting the kids, etc).
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool door dings

Hi, I would think about making the bolts that hold the door on very tight. This should cause some tension and therefore slow down the speed with which the door swings? Just thinking outside the Jeep. Jay
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jay01th
Hi, I would think about making the bolts that hold the door on very tight. This should cause some tension and therefore slow down the speed with which the door swings? Just thinking outside the Jeep. Jay

The hinge is not a fully threaded so that would not work but more importantly, People actually put those bolts back on?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find some low profile check straps at a boneyard and fab them into the doors then bolt them to the A and B pillar door jams. Probably be a good idea to make a reinforcement plate where you cut the hole in the door and also use nutserts and flat headed metric torx bolts in the pillar door jambs instead of sheet metal screws.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I test drove an Unlimted, I saw this as a real problem with two small kids, a small garage, and a wife who hates door dings in her car. I looked at real car doors and it seems like you could mod the hinge to provide stops.

I don't have a JK, but could you put on the hinge pin a washer with cams on it. One washer attached to the hinge, one attached to the door. The ridges would provide a bump to stop the door, but with bit more umph would slide over each other?

Mark
Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk
The hinge is not a fully threaded so that would not work but more importantly, People actually put those bolts back on?
In reality, there is no bolt, there is the door hinge and a torx nut to prevent the theft of the doors.

Quick Reply: Door ding prevention mod......