Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Doing it Right from the start!!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing it Right from the start!!

New jk owner here so 10 lashings per day max. Seriously, I'm a new jeep owner and can't be happier. It's very nice to get some advice from guys that have been there and done that. I appreciate it in advance.

I've been reading a lot on what not to do when upgrading the suspension and tires. How about some thoughts on doing it correctly.

My uses aren't nearly as demanding as some, about the only real off-road I do is on Forrest roads (nw) and moab couple four times a year.

Have a pretty much stock 10 jku, front/rear bumpers, winch, led bar, exhaust. That's all so far.

Looking to go with a 2.5 or 3 lift, 35's, and psc fenders.
Havent really looked into lifts, but definately want something thats not RC lol. I've been pointed in the direction of ome, aev, and jks. Want to maintain drivability and road comfort, while still retaining some capabilities off-road. Not too worried about trail performance, I'm a pussy when it comes to wheeling my daily driver.

Any help educating me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 AM
JK Super Freak

My personal opinion: no reason to go over 2.5 with 35s since you'll net more than that most likely if your stock. As far as brands, my top 2 are rock krawler and synergy. AEV has a strong following though and from everything I hear (no first hand experience here) from my buddies, has very nice road manners. Best of luck and I wish I "only" went to moab 4 times a year lol
Old 06-20-2015, 01:46 AM
JK Newbie

I have the 2.5" AEV with the geo brackets it rides nice on road, performs well off-road. I have about 1500 miles on it so far and 1 off-road trip (soon to be two starting in about an hour). I don't have 35's yet but plan on it by winter. Liked the AEV so much my brother installed it on his JKR last weekend. He put on the 35" BFG KO2's. Loves the set up. Hope this helps. I hear AEV and OME are both great on road and decent off road.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Because you're focused on ride comfort and aren't doing any terribly demanding trails, I'd recommend the AEV 2.5" with the correction brackets. Those will keep the control arm angles close to stock, which gives better performance while driving over a rough section of road (steeper attack angle after lifting a Jeep is not quite as smooth when a wheel must travel up and down over rough terrain). In addition, the geometry correction brackets will take care of the caster shift, which gives your steering a "like driving on ice" feel if not addressed. If you were saying you wanted to take on some rough trails, my recommendation would be different because having those control arms hang down is not the best thing when dragging across rocks. But, I have plenty of friends who do that, and quite successfully, I might add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq51rHh8MY As for the fenders, you can run a 2.5" lift with a little bit of trimming here and there and keep the stock fenders. Unless you happen to like the look of the PSC flares, there isn't any real need to change them. Do recommend that if running 35s you trim the rear wheel opening pinch seams, and if you've got a Rubi of certain years (your profile information isn't filled out!), the rock rails. Some folks will argue that trimming the pinch seam isn't necessary--I have photos of the damage to my pinch seam area ***which was trimmed**** from 35" Duratracs (which tend to run small for 35s). It just takes the right combination of weight and low tire pressure and rough terrain to force rubber against the slicing action of the pinch seam. Safer to just trim.

BTW: Compliments for really doing it right. So many folks think you just buy a Jeep and begin modding without ever defining what they plan to do with said Jeep. That's where everyone really needs to start, and you have done that.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-20-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Mark is right, take the time define what you and your jeep will be doing most of the time and plan to mod from there.

I recently went from a Terraflex Leveling Kit to a 2.5" AEV and GEO brackets....wow could not be happier. My use is very similar to the OP, and I'm on 33s for going 35 at some point.

Before I dropped money on this lift I researched, asked questions, checked out my local shops, and rode in jeeps with different lifts. Heck I even asked totally strangers at the gas station how they like their lift.

I spend a lot of time on the highway to work each day and this suspension system really does ride better then stock. No more nose dive breaking, body roll is gone, expansion joints don't stand a chance, it's just amazing. No issues on the overland style of off road I prefer.

I noticed the difference in the first 5km I drove after install. My jeep has 177,000KM and with AEV I would challenge any jeep off the showroom floor to run down the highway straighter and smoother. Even my wife commented it was much smoother!!!

You get what you pay for....so true.

If I was big into rocks I would have gone Rock Krawler, very good product, and some of the guys I know run OME all happy.

Match the mods to you application and use being 100% honest with yourself and you should always do it right the first time.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

No first hand experience but I hear Metalcloak has very good road manners. I've been tossing them, RK, and AEV around in my head and still not 100% sure. Leaning towards Metalcloak though. Anyone able to comment on MC road manners?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Default ome

don't overlook Ome they put together an excellent lift.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the OME 4" lift with 35" tires. My major concern was roadside manners being my daily driver and a 50 mile round trip commute daily, and OME doesn't disappoint with it's smooth as stock ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150620_114723.png
Views:	477
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	615397
Old 06-20-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
No first hand experience but I hear Metalcloak has very good road manners. I've been tossing them, RK, and AEV around in my head and still not 100% sure. Leaning towards Metalcloak though. Anyone able to comment on MC road manners?
I had driven someones Jeep with the Metal Cloak lift, it handles very good both on and off road, and it pretty pleasant as a DD.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

AEV seems crazy overpriced to me for what it is, I never understand why people pay that much when other brands are much cheaper for the same thing (excluding coils, only talking about their brackets/bumpers).

I vote metalcloak. Their duroflex joints are amazing and smooth on the road and flex without binding up the arms in the mounts. The coils don't seem to wear out at all, and never unseat. I have all metalcloak arms and coils.

Personally, I think brackets are not "doing it right." Buy track bars, adjustable control arms, coils, etc. It is more expensive, but you're not re-using factory crap, and your stuff has a lot of miles on it already. Bushings do wear out.

Quick Reply: Doing it Right from the start!!