Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Doing research to pick a winch...how high a weight limit?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Would suggest not going too big on the winch. 9000-9500 is fine (even if you drive a two door, you might be pulling out your buddy's four door, LOL). More powerful pull winches usually have a couple disadvantages: Slower (more gearing) and shorter line (thicker and stronger, but less fits on spool).
X2. 9000 to 9500 is plenty for most JK's.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got this one for $350 shipped. Engo e10000. Now we have to try and fit it into the AEV bumper with the winch plate AEV makes. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-636137047.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	493499  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Warn fan myself and run an M8000 but I think one of the best values out there is the Smittybuilt XRC10 comp. real nice price, 10k load, reasonable line speed and syn line.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my Engo E9000. Reading the Four Wheeler Shoot-out helped me decide.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

You can't go wrong with a Warn. I've never owned a new one, but I have had several used Warn winches and have never been let down by one. I've owned two of the old Belleview type 5687's, an 8274 and recently an M8000 on the JK. They've all been great and Warn has helped me out piecing together the older winches. I prefer the 8274 for heavy duty off road duties, so it's on the CJ. Another great thing with the Warn is that they're easy to sell when you no longer need them. Warn has great name recognition, plus I personally like that the premium series is still made right down the river.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

I really like the ZEON series and with a 4 door I went with the 10S, a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Keep in mind that the Zeon model wont fit some bumpers, namely some of the bumpers that have a sunken winch mount. The drum on a Zeon winch is centered, where as the drum on most other winches is offset. So if the slot in the bumper for the winch cable is offset, the Zeon winch wont line up right.

The Warn 9.5 xp is a good winch. It has a higher output motor (6 hp) and faster line speed than most other winches.

The Warn 9.5 cti-s is a good winch as well. It is compact for a winch with an integrated solenoid, and only weighs 66 lbs. A Zeon 10-s weighs 75 lbs.

The Warn M8000-s is also a good winch. It is compact, easy to mount in close spaces, and only weighs 55 lbs.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
Keep in mind that the Zeon model wont fit some bumpers, namely some of the bumpers that have a sunken winch mount. The drum on a Zeon winch is centered, where as the drum on most other winches is offset. So if the slot in the bumper for the winch cable is offset, the Zeon winch wont line up right.

The Warn 9.5 xp is a good winch. It has a higher output motor (6 hp) and faster line speed than most other winches.

The Warn 9.5 cti-s is a good winch as well. It is compact for a winch with an integrated solenoid, and only weighs 66 lbs. A Zeon 10-s weighs 75 lbs.

The Warn M8000-s is also a good winch. It is compact, easy to mount in close spaces, and only weighs 55 lbs.
What's the best way to figure out if a certain winch will fit your bumper?

I have the Ace mid width front bumper and the is a structural change so the winch position does have its limits...

At this point it's either going to be the Warn V8000-s or the Warn V10000-s

Unless I find out it won't fit or somebody had a really good idea that causes me to rethink...

The dead lifting a tj kind of sold me!

The price difference between the 8k and the 10k is only $100

So unless I'm missing something that's a lot more lift for a fairly small price bump...

The only thing I read that made me stop and think about it was that I probably need to get a stronger battery?

That the stock one is only 600 cold cranking amps, and that the winch needed a minimum of 660 cca?

Is that someone's opinion or a widely accepted fact??

Anything else for a first time winch buyer? Any downsides to going with synthetic line, or any down sides on getting 2k more pulling power?

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
At this point it's either going to be the Warn V8000-s or the Warn V10000-s

The only thing I read that made me stop and think about it was that I probably need to get a stronger battery?

That the stock one is only 600 cold cranking amps, and that the winch needed a minimum of 660 cca?

Is that someone's opinion or a widely accepted fact??

Anything else for a first time winch buyer? Any downsides to going with synthetic line, or any down sides on getting 2k more pulling power?

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
I looked at those two until I found a good deal on a used xd9000. Great winch that I used a few times this past weekend with no hiccups, and a few compliments from other regarding line speed under load and the quietness of operation. Mine is running off the stock battery, and all seemed well for the short time of operation. I will eventually upgrade to a HD battery, but after the use I don't feel like I need to rush.

Synthetic is great, just make sure it doesn't get chafed over inanimate objects like rocks and trees. Also, keep it covered from the sun and other elements when not in use.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

it really all depends on how often ur going to use it. Ive used my smitty XRC10 twice since ive had it, plenty of pull and no problems yet

Quick Reply: Doing research to pick a winch...how high a weight limit?