Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Hey Mike sounds pretty good, you still thinking of having clayton install? see if they'll do the drive shafts too?

I just saw within the last month someone say that Ok was charging 1500 for gears I know they had been charging 1900

I wouldnt do the cai if you plan to wheel in pine barrons at all, to much water and I would wait on the aev, to see what superchips comes out with, it should be announced by monday.
I will actually probably just go with OK4WD for all the installs. Unless Clayton can do it all for me. Rather just go to one place for everything. Whats a good price for the gear install? OK had me at 1700. Yeah there are a few things just coming out. The superchip, the MBRP relocated exhaust. I guess if Im gonna wait on the rockmonsters I might as well wait on these other things.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are getting the clayton 4.5 and u think you would upgrade to 37's next time, save yourself and do it now....you'll wait a long time for those tires to wear out like I am
Are you gonna change from the KM2s?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey check this thread out, he was just quoted 1500 for gears from OK4wd in feb, cant hurt to ask to save 200 bucks, you think they would give you them for 1500 considering all the stuff you are going to have done.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=1500

When i get new tires they wil be something else, I dont hate my km2's but the got LOUD after about 25-30k mi on them. I know its normal for all mud tires to do it but I wanna try another tire. They do have plenty of tread left on them though.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey check this thread out, he was just quoted 1500 for gears from OK4wd in feb, cant hurt to ask to save 200 bucks, you think they would give you them for 1500 considering all the stuff you are going to have done.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=1500

When i get new tires they wil be something else, I dont hate my km2's but the got LOUD after about 25-30k mi on them. I know its normal for all mud tires to do it but I wanna try another tire. They do have plenty of tread left on them though.
I can always tell them to get the Toyos when I call to give em the final decisions before they order everything. And Ill ask them about the 1500 quote.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

I've had excellent luck with my BFG KM2's. Other than the stock Rubi tires, these are the only ones I've ran on my Jeep but I've ran with other running Goodyear, Nitto, Toyo, etc... These tires have performed as good or better than any of the above mentioned tires and ride excellent on the street. As far as wear goes, I have 12,000 miles on mine now and have 16/32" of tread left and they came with 18/32" Discount Tire recommended that I get new tires at 6/32" tread left which would mean I should get somewhere between 65-70K miles on these.

I asked if this was normal and they said that with these new KM2's, they've been getting a lot of people that are getting these kind of miles. I run mine at 32psi and have been getting very even wear.

I was hoping I would be able to go to 37's this year, but it'll be a while before these wear out.

I've got a buddy running 35x13.5 Toyos and he loves those. Thats also an excellent size, I really like the 13.5...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Default 37's

Think about doing the 37's now. It seems like (from my recollection) people who were thinking about going with a larger tire and didn't end up wishing they'd pulled the trigger. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like you're going to have a really nice rig when your work is done. Remember to post pics for us to see and good luck.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

If your even thinking of 37s, you need 5.38s. I have 5.13s and 37s and power is gone.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roketman
If your even thinking of 37s, you need 5.38s. I have 5.13s and 37s and power is gone.
yeah thats something I need to come to a conclusion on. 35s/5.13 or 37/5.38. Its just this is my DD so Im a little concerned about the 37s. I drive some distance on the highway alot and not sure if I should go to the 37s. Was kinda thinkin 35s would be happy median. Then later down the road when I can get a commuter or beater car I can maybe go up to the 37s.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

I only drive mine on weekends or wheeling. If I had to drive it any distance, I would do the 35s. The 37s are so heavy (gas mileage) and don't ride as smooth. Good luck on your build.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roketman
I only drive mine on weekends or wheeling. If I had to drive it any distance, I would do the 35s. The 37s are so heavy (gas mileage) and don't ride as smooth. Good luck on your build.
Ok well that made my decision. Thanks. If I ever get another car I can move up to 37s.

Quick Reply: Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.