Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice on the tires I love my Toyos. And they look really good wrapped around 7005

As far as lifts go, Im a big fan of Clayton. They have great customer service and their stuff is just about indestructible. Although, I dont think you could go wrong with Currie or Teraflex either

I have a cooltech exhaust relocation on ours and it defintely opened up alot of room underneath, plus it puts the muffler in a much less vulnerable spot. So whichever exhaust you go with I would reccommend one that relocates the muffler. I know Woods makes a nice one. And I also reccommend getting a Evap Cannister relocation from him as well. The EC is just begging to get ripped off in its stock location.

I also have a Max Energy... and while its does its job, I wouldnt buy it again. I had a bad customer service experience. I know lots of people had good experiences with them, but I didnt. Maybe I just caught them on bad week, but either way they rubbed ME the wrong way. If I had to do it again, I would rather get AEV's procal. Its alot cheaper and for me, it would do everything I want. The new Superchip one looks pretty promising too.

Gears and Driveshafts.. Im still running stock on both. Since we have a 6sp the shafts are still fine and Im living with the gears. And to be honest they really arent too bad, the only time I really feel it are on long hills. Eventually I will be getting 5.13s, because I think 37's are in my future

Last edited by bly109; 03-18-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
If I were to do it all over again, I would go with a tereflex 3 or 4in long arm http://www.teraflex.biz/products/eli...th-shocks.html

OK4wd doesnt deal with Full traction

from what I've read online pro comps are on serious backorder, so I would find another that you like, what ever you do, DO NOT try their knight chrome rims(they rarely ever match) I really like the atx artillery wheels.

If you stay with a 3in lift you should be ok on driveshafts if you arent flexing alot, a lot of people seem to rip the rubber boot on the front shaft but I havent yet in over a year and half.

gears depends on if you want to recover the power you'll loose going to 35's but also depends if yuo have auto or manual. People with the manual seem to be able to live with it more. Superior or Yukon gears are fine, I belive they are both made by superior anyhow. Its the quality of the installer you need to worry about, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with OK4wd.

Engine wise I would stay away from a cai, most dont see much of an improvement and if you plan to wheel in NJ Pine barrons at all, you're asking for hydrolock, there is plenty of water down there to suck up Superchips is coming out with a new programmer for the 3.8 and it seems like its going to be the best one out so far.

If you want shrockworks stuff check with the guys at Screamin Lizards customs in the manufacturer section of the forum, they stock them a lot of times.

Check out the staging are east coast section for trail rides and you can see some jeeps already done up in person
Alot of good info. I will remove the CAI from the list. As for wheels Im not waiting months and months for em. Ill find something thats readily available or thats a few weeks wait. I will probably do the gears. I have auto.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone on Walker Evans or Fox remote reservoirs? Bilstein, RE, Tera monotubes? Obviously dont need the remotes but most things arent needs theyre wants and if Im doing it Im doing it now and not wishing or wanting 6 months from now.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
Great choice on the tires I love my Toyos. And they look really good wrapped around 7005

As far as lifts go, Im a big fan of Clayton. They have great customer service and their stuff is just about indestructible. Although, I dont think you could go wrong with Currie or Teraflex either

I have a cooltech exhaust relocation on ours and it defintely opened up alot of room underneath, plus it puts the muffler in a much less vulnerable spot. So whichever exhaust you go with I would reccommend one that relocates the muffler. I know Woods makes a nice one. And I also reccommend getting a Evap Cannister relocation from him as well. The EC is just begging to get ripped off in its stock location.

I also have a Max Energy... and while its does its job, I wouldnt buy it again. I had a bad customer service experience. I know lots of people had good experiences with them, but I didnt. Maybe I just caught them on bad week, but either way they rubbed ME the wrong way. If I had to do it again, I would rather get AEV's procal. Its alot cheaper and for me, it would do everything I want. The new Superchip one looks pretty promising too.

Gears and Driveshafts.. Im still running stock on both. Since we have a 6sp the shafts are still fine and Im living with the gears. And to be honest they really arent too bad, the only time I really feel it are on long hills. Eventually I will be getting 5.13s, because I think 37's are in my future

I see MBRP just came out with a relocated exhaust also. Your wheels were one of my first choices but Im hearing there is a looonnggg wait.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike De
... Full Traction was on the list until I read a few posts about some problems with the kit or customer service but that could just be a few. ...
Good choice. I am one of those few. I have the Full Traction lift and will not be buying anything from them again.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKGoose
Good choice. I am one of those few. I have the Full Traction lift and will not be buying anything from them again.
Ok I will be scratching them off the list. Im starting to narrow it down more. Currie 4", Clayton 4.5", RE 4.5" LA. Cant find any reviews on the Icon and seems real expensive for what you get. I wanna do 4 or 4.5. Plus gives more options later down the road.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
I was in the same boat as you awhile back. But I think I am going to get the clayton 3.5" lift, 35's of something, and wheels are up in the air, maybe liquid metal gatlin wheels in matte black. I went with rock hard rear bumper because I got a really good deal on it, and a rampage front bumper. 5.13 gears are on order but don't know if I will install them just yet.

Oh yeah just got an email from clayton and they offer 10% military discount.
Clayton is starting to make my short list. Haven't heard anything bad yet. Im swaying towards the 4.5. I went to a Jeep dealership that had a 4.5 RE LA with 35s and it looked sweet. I like the extra space in the wells. Plus gives option for 37s later on if I want em. Ill have to go look up those wheels. This is turning into a bigger project than I intended. The more I see and read the more I want.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone on Walker Evans or Fox remote reservoirs? Bilstein, RE, Tera monotubes? Obviously dont need the remotes but most things arent needs theyre wants and if Im doing it Im doing it now and not wishing or wanting 6 months from now.
Sorry TeraFlex shocks are Twin-tubes. No problems with mine with 18,000 miles on a 4" LA kit.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Sorry TeraFlex shocks are Twin-tubes. No problems with mine with 18,000 miles on a 4" LA kit.
Ill start looking into this one too. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

..Full Traction was on the list until I read a few posts about some problems with the kit or customer service but that could just be a few.
I have the FT 6" Long Arm kit and could not be happier with it. There are many people on here running FT kits (including WOL) without any issues.

There are a ton of great choices out there for lift. You have the top ones on your list. You might want to consider a long arm if you are going to be doing all this at once.

Also, check out the RockKrawler stuff. Jim and crew over at OK4wd sell their stuff and RK is a sponsor here. I looked at their kit before choosing FT.

Quick Reply: Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.