Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.

Just traded in the 07 2 dr Rubicon on an 09 4 dr. Gonna go out to OK 4WD in Stewartsville, NJ this week and see what they are all about. I want to do as much to it as possible and still be able to drive it on the road everyday somewhat reasonably. Its my only ride for now. I'm looking for input on brands and sizes etc.. Don't wanna cut corners cause I like to do things right the first time but also wanna save money here and there if possible.

Want a lift between 3.5 and 4.5. Here's the list.
Clayton
Currie
Icon (anyone have 1st hand knowledge on this one?)
Rubicon Express
what does anyone think of Walker Evans or Fox remote reservoirs or remote reservoirs in general?

Gonna go with 35" Toyo M/T. Get alot of good reviews.
Wheels are still up in the air. Was just lookin for some black ones(Pro Comp 7005, KMC Monsters(but only come in 18s) and not sure if I wanna bash those up). Maye even some steel Cragars. Then I started eyeballin the Hutchinson Rock Monsters and Walker Evans beadlocks(alot of money)

Now because of the height of the lift I guess I need new driveshafts. Tom Woods or Reel or Rubicon Express?
5.13 gears? brand suggestion?
Riddler Diff covers

Engine
MBRP exhaust
a cold air intake. anybody on any particular brand?
Max Energy Power Programmer?
any other suggestions?

Exterior
LOD front and rear bumpers. Was liking LOD rock sliders until I saw the Red Rocks. Im up in the air on those too. Shrockworks bumpers are nice to but it sounds like the wait is forever.

Any suggestions and 1st hand knowledge on any and everything please. Id like to just drop it off and get everything done at once. Sitting in the Middle East for 3 yrs gave me some money to burn on toys for once!

Last edited by Mike De; 03-18-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: deleted blacklisted manufacturer
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

I went with the Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex lift----> But also know there are many other great products out there.

At 3.5" of lift, it wasn't necessary to chage the drive shafts
As far as tires go, You can't go wrong with the Toyos- Going on my second set, I chose the Toyos (Had BFG's prior)

I can't really discuss gearing- I'm doing just fine running on 35's and I live in a hilly area.

With regards to bumpers...
Well the below picture says it all
I am partial to LOD.
They make a great product.
I can't wait until I can afford the rear one

Have fun making your own choices and be sure to show us when you get finished

Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I have never read anything bad about the RE. Are you using the RE shocks? Is the long arm really that much better for a JK? Don't want to get into the LA if its not that big of a difference. Love that LOD bumper. I'm thinking about the mid width. I read alot of posts on here about putting in 5.13s for 35s. But again if not really needed or that big of a help its money saved I suppose. And looking at the pics of that west coast terrain makes me jealous. Almost wish I didn't move back to the Northeast. Oh well that's another post, haha.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for your service.

Have you looked into the HEMI? If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while and have money for the toys, it could be something.

I hear the AEV ProCal is better than the Hypertech Max Energy because of its features. It's cheaper and does more.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ill look into the Teraflex. Full Traction was on the list until I read a few posts about some problems with the kit or customer service but that could just be a few. Yeah my obsessive compulsiveness is kicking in and Im either doing it all or none. I do need to get some pics of the stock setup. Ill take em before the extreme makeover. Appreciate the input so far.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Thank you for your service.

Have you looked into the HEMI? If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while and have money for the toys, it could be something.

I hear the AEV ProCal is better than the Hypertech Max Energy because of its features. It's cheaper and does more.
Would love to do the HEMI but that's getting up there. Its gotta be pretty wild driving the Jeep with that engine. Maybe a little down the road. Im sure once I get started it will keep going. I do plan on keeping this one. Good to know about the Hypertech. And of course if I can save money and the product is better Im all about it. Exactly why I did this post. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike De
Yeah I have never read anything bad about the RE. Are you using the RE shocks? Is the long arm really that much better for a JK? Don't want to get into the LA if its not that big of a difference. Love that LOD bumper. I'm thinking about the mid width. I read alot of posts on here about putting in 5.13s for 35s. But again if not really needed or that big of a help its money saved I suppose. And looking at the pics of that west coast terrain makes me jealous. Almost wish I didn't move back to the Northeast. Oh well that's another post, haha.
I have the Bilstien shocks---> they came with the lift kit.

I have heard mixed review on the long arm- It has been said that my superflex may have more articulation then the long arm --->Though I do not know this first hand...

I chose the LOD shorty because, well... I just liked it and it looks badass
The midwidth is nice too though

With regards to the gearing, I would certainly get some more pep in my step- but honestly, I'm a speed demon on the road and it is probably a good thing that I have a bit of governing there.
Otherwise, on the trail my jeep fairs very well.

Afterthought:
I have a manual transmission- I think you would find re-gearing more necessary if you have an automatic.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 03-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill look into the Teraflex. Full Traction was on the list until I read a few posts about some problems with the kit or customer service but that could just be a few. Yeah my obsessive compulsiveness is kicking in and Im either doing it all or none. I do need to get some pics of the stock setup. Ill take em before the extreme makeover. Appreciate the input so far.
Thanks! If you get a chance, download the 2009 catalog from my sig line below. If you have any questions or concerns, call me.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just traded in the 07 2 dr Rubicon on an 09 4 dr. Gonna go out to OK 4WD in Stewartsville, NJ this week and see what they are all about. I want to do as much to it as possible and still be able to drive it on the road everyday somewhat reasonably. Its my only ride for now. I'm looking for input on brands and sizes etc.. Don't wanna cut corners cause I like to do things right the first time but also wanna save money here and there if possible.

Want a lift between 3.5 and 4.5. Here's the list.
Clayton
Currie
Icon (anyone have 1st hand knowledge on this one?)
Rubicon Express
what does anyone think of Walker Evans or Fox remote reservoirs or remote reservoirs in general?

Gonna go with 35" Toyo M/T. Get alot of good reviews.
Wheels are still up in the air. Was just lookin for some black ones(Pro Comp 7005, KMC Monsters(but only come in 18s) and not sure if I wanna bash those up). Maye even some steel Cragars. Then I started eyeballin the Hutchinson Rock Monsters and Walker Evans beadlocks(alot of money)

Now because of the height of the lift I guess I need new driveshafts. Tom Woods or Reel or Rubicon Express?
5.13 gears? brand suggestion?
Riddler Diff covers

Engine
MBRP exhaust
a cold air intake. anybody on any particular brand?
Max Energy Power Programmer?
any other suggestions?

Exterior
LOD front and rear bumpers. Was liking LOD rock sliders until I saw the Red Rocks. Im up in the air on those too. Shrockworks bumpers are nice to but it sounds like the wait is forever.

Any suggestions and 1st hand knowledge on any and everything please. Id like to just drop it off and get everything done at once. Sitting in the Middle East for 3 yrs gave me some money to burn on toys for once!

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with a tereflex 3 or 4in long arm http://www.teraflex.biz/products/eli...th-shocks.html

OK4wd doesnt deal with Full traction

from what I've read online pro comps are on serious backorder, so I would find another that you like, what ever you do, DO NOT try their knight chrome rims(they rarely ever match) I really like the atx artillery wheels.

If you stay with a 3in lift you should be ok on driveshafts if you arent flexing alot, a lot of people seem to rip the rubber boot on the front shaft but I havent yet in over a year and half.

gears depends on if you want to recover the power you'll loose going to 35's but also depends if yuo have auto or manual. People with the manual seem to be able to live with it more. Superior or Yukon gears are fine, I belive they are both made by superior anyhow. Its the quality of the installer you need to worry about, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with OK4wd.

Engine wise I would stay away from a cai, most dont see much of an improvement and if you plan to wheel in NJ Pine barrons at all, you're asking for hydrolock, there is plenty of water down there to suck up Superchips is coming out with a new programmer for the 3.8 and it seems like its going to be the best one out so far.

If you want shrockworks stuff check with the guys at Screamin Lizards customs in the manufacturer section of the forum, they stock them a lot of times.

Check out the staging are east coast section for trail rides and you can see some jeeps already done up in person
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Smile

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Thanks! If you get a chance, download the 2009 catalog from my sig line below. If you have any questions or concerns, call me.

Welcome to the forum!
I was wondering when you were going to jump in

Quick Reply: Doin up an Unlimited. Need input.