Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

This doesn't look right, should I be worried?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This doesn't look right, should I be worried?

Where to start...

I took my jeep to a local shop that has been dealing with jeeps for years now. I had my TJ brought there for a lift and never had any issues. Well... I take my JK there to get a 3.5" lift put on and don't think anything of it. Today I am washing my jeep and I noticed that BOTH my front springs are hanging off the bottom of the base were they sit. I have never put on a lift myself, but it looks like they should be seated into small grooves designed for the springs themselves.

Is this a problem? And if it is, can I fix this myself? I was thinking of buying a spring compressor and trying to spin it into place, but I don't think that is a good idea.

Anything is helpful. If I can't do it myself I will bring it back to the shop, but since something like this happen I'd rather do it myself so I know it is done right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6297.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	114682 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6295.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	114683
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

your springs are not seated in their perches. did you happen to go wheeling after the coils were installed and if so, did you do a lot of flexing? if your shocks are too long, they could have allowed your coils to unseat and spin. if not, your shop didn't install them correctly and you should have them fix it.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, they should be seated in the cups. It isn't too hard to do yourself, just open any of the suspension writeups in the writeups area, they will all have pics and steps.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a notch on the axle side where the end of the spring should fall into. Maybe just rotate the spring and it should drop into the notch.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi

Yea the spring ends need to seat into the notch.. U could prob fix it yourself by either flexing it and wrestling the spring by hand, or u might need to remove the lower shock bolt n sway bar link to loosen the spring up enough... Either way it's DEF wrong and needs to be corrected.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie

Get the shop to fix it they didn't install it properly I remember my friend told me to make sure the springs were installed properly because then I would have to go through the whole assembly disassembly process when I install my coil lift.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

I haven't even been off road since the lift and tires, so I figured the shop put them on wrong. I guess it looks like my jeep is going back to the shop. I did have it aligned after the lift. Am I going to have to do the alignment again?

Thanks again guys for the quick response. I am always on the forum looking around trying to learn as much as possbile.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Thanks guys.

I haven't even been off road since the lift and tires, so I figured the shop put them on wrong. I guess it looks like my jeep is going back to the shop. I did have it aligned after the lift. Am I going to have to do the alignment again?

Thanks again guys for the quick response. I am always on the forum looking around trying to learn as much as possbile.
no, you won't need to get it aligned again.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi

No alignment needed like wol said,,, u can easily fix it yourself.... I know u paid $$ for the install, but IMO at this point I would take the 30 min or so n fix it myself, rather than waste half or whole day waiting for the shop.... Idk that's my thought... Get it fixed either way.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

this is an easy fix if you want to do it yourself... BUT hold the shop accountable, explain the problem and make THEM fix it. Just my opinion, but if they don't know how to install springs, maybe they should learn... especially since you most likely paid good amount of money on labor.

just my .02

Quick Reply: This doesn't look right, should I be worried?