Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

does a stock rim have offset???

Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
ehhhhhh!!!!! i'm not alone. i've only got one chance to buy rims and i want the right ones. a little rubbing is ok to me, i'm more worried about getting my scrub radius as close to center as possible so it drives ok.
Same here. Last time I put wheels with the wrong offset on and it rode like crap.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Same here. Last time I put wheels with the wrong offset on and it rode like crap.
some one will tell us, one day. there must be a way to calculate?? even to get close. i think alot of people think offset and backspacing are the same
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Also keep in mind that JKs are desiged for hub centric not lug centric wheels. Not all wheels are hub centric. If you have hub centric wheels with the proper backspaceing you are golden and the ride should be good.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

I am still confused on the whole issue. If I change my backspacing but keep the stock size tires then my Jeep rides like crap? Or is it the offset that is causing that? Or is it both?

Right now I am running mopar steels that are the same spec as stock, because when I ran Procomps but did not go to a bigger tire it messed up my scrub radius and my Jeep was awful to drive.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by porters
Also keep in mind that JKs are desiged for hub centric not lug centric wheels. Not all wheels are hub centric. If you have hub centric wheels with the proper backspaceing you are golden and the ride should be good.
if you find a wheel that isn't hub centric there are little rings you can get to make the hub fit the rim. they are a bit of a p.i.t.a. but we use them at work and no comebacks yet.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
if you find a wheel that isn't hub centric there are little rings you can get to make the hub fit the rim. they are a bit of a p.i.t.a. but we use them at work and no comebacks yet.
Yup had the rings for the procomps. Still rode like shit.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go:
For the stock rims...
with a 7.5" wide wheel, offset of 51 yields a bs of 6.25.
If you google "backspace calculator" you can find easy online caclulators to do these computations for you (or use a spreadsheet).

Ron
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronner
here you go:
For the stock rims...
with a 7.5" wide wheel, offset of 51 yields a bs of 6.25.
If you google "backspace calculator" you can find easy online caclulators to do these computations for you (or use a spreadsheet).

Ron
wow thanks alot
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Yup had the rings for the procomps. Still rode like shit.
cause the rings just center the rim the dont change back spacing. if your tire size didn't change then the back spacing or offset did. this is what makes it ride like shit
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still confused on the whole issue. If I change my backspacing but keep the stock size tires then my Jeep rides like crap? Or is it the offset that is causing that? Or is it both?

Right now I am running mopar steels that are the same spec as stock, because when I ran Procomps but did not go to a bigger tire it messed up my scrub radius and my Jeep was awful to drive.
Backspacing and offset measure the same thing: the location on the mounting flange of the wheel. They differ in that backspacing measures the distance to the mounting flange from the BACKSIDE face of the wheel, while offset measures the location of the mounting flange to the CENTERLINE of the wheel. The key is that the backspacing does not depend on the width of the wheel, but the offset depends on the width of the wheel (since that moves the centerline).

So if you know the backspacing you know exactly how much it'll stick out. If you only know offset, you also need to know the width of the wheel to know how much it'll stick out.

In the end, you only need to know EITHER - not both - since they measure the same thing.

Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: does a stock rim have offset???