Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does this rear bumper/tire carrier exist?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this rear bumper/tire carrier exist?

I know I'm going to need a rear bumper/tire carrier with 35"s on, so I've started looking. I cannot seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm wondering if it actually exists.

Features I want:
-stubby/mid width/solid: I don't like the look of full width bumpers, personally, with flat flares, which I intend on doing later. Also, not a fan of the tube style bumpers out there.
-rear light integration: ulitmately I want to put some bright LED"s for auxilery lights.
-ability to have the tire mount open with rear door: This is a big one for me! I have three kids and two dogs, the cargo area get's used OFTEN, and I simply want the ease of opening one thing only.
-attach over tire rack: with dogs in the cargo area, I want to be able to put a cooler/gear up there. Eventually want to have my JK more "overland" equipped.
-attach Gerry Can/Rotopax system: see above ^^^
-durability/reliability: I would rather spend the money on the right set up the first time.
-solid look/feel: I want whatever I end up with to look strong, and be strong, be able to take a beating, and not look beat up.

I really like to idea of the TeraFlex tailgate mounted tire carrier, and ulitmately am ok with going with a seperate rear bumper that's more durable than the factory piece of plastic. However, I don't think one could put a tire/over tire rack with cooler or gear/Gerry can or Rotopax set up all on the rear tailgate, without it simply falling off the back of the JK upon opening it. If the hinges could bear the load though, that would be my lutimate set up.

Please help!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at LoD? That seems to fit your list.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. I really like thier signature shorty w/Gen 3 full set up, except it's not linked to open with the rear door. The set up they have that IS linked to the rear door, only allows for attachments to the passenger side and does not allow for an over the tire rack.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yessamskates
Have you looked at LoD? That seems to fit your list.
He speaks the truth.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think LoD is the only option that ticks all those boxes. There are a few others that do everything but swing with the rear gate. Note that you will start to run into problems with the factory gate latch if you pile too much on that carrier.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Bumping for more input...please.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

How about you find a bumper you like and add to it to where you want it , to find a bumper that has everthing you want will be 2 things a crap load of money or it doesn't exist
Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
How about you find a bumper you like and add to it to where you want it , to find a bumper that has everthing you want will be 2 things a crap load of money or it doesn't exist
Do you mean, just add components as I go along? This is the plan, as I really don't feel like dumping that kind of coin all at once when I'm on the tail of a lift/wheels/tires already. I"m just planning ahead because I know I'll need a tire carrier here soon with 35"s going on.

Can a rack be added to any tire carrier? Or are only certian tire carriers set up for additions? I was kind of eyeing the ACE set up as it links to the rear door, but it doesn't look as if I can add the components I want to it later.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKGRND
Do you mean, just add components as I go along? This is the plan, as I really don't feel like dumping that kind of coin all at once when I'm on the tail of a lift/wheels/tires already. I"m just planning ahead because I know I'll need a tire carrier here soon with 35"s going on.

Can a rack be added to any tire carrier? Or are only certian tire carriers set up for additions? I was kind of eyeing the ACE set up as it links to the rear door, but it doesn't look as if I can add the components I want to it later.
You can add anything with a welder , I seen a guy take a xrc add a cargo basket , high lift , Jerry can holder to it I took mine and added a high lift , metal screen to bolt on lights when I get around to that point and slant back carrier , find a bumper you like and make it to your needs

Last edited by jaker t5; 05-28-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5

You can add anything with a welder , I seen a guy take a xrc add a cargo basket , high lift , Jerry can holder to it I took mine and added a high lift , metal screen to bolt on lights when I get around to that point and slant back carrier , find a bumper you like and make it to your needs
That is sick. Love the high clearance out back.

Quick Reply: Does this rear bumper/tire carrier exist?